From: Tom Harrington on
In article <k-udncwuSYHv-07YnZ2dnUVZ_hninZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Tim Lance <see.sig(a)bottom.com> wrote:

> Just started trying it and while I haven't yet attempted some decent
> evaluation I am interested in others' experiences. My initial (less than 10
> mins. moderate use) was that it immediately added a swap (3 to 4) and
> dramatic improvements shown in the app's window and likewise MemoryStick.
>
> Now I have 8 apps open, including Parallels and Safari. The meter was showing
> ziltch free memory but only 4 swaps. I just ran the routiine again and I have
> almost a GB free but 6 swaps.
>
> Next will be to watch VM in Terminal. I just wanted to go ahead and get this
> posted.
>
> http://www.activata.co.uk/products/ifreemem.html

Sounds like a crock to me.

Maybe they're just trying not to give away their secrets, but the
description on the web page just doesn't make any sense. Reclaiming
memory so that your Mac will run like it did when it was new? But all
memory is "reclaimed" every time the Mac reboots, it's not like your RAM
fills up as your Mac gets older. Macs don't lose memory as they get
older, and since this application claims to fix that nonexistent
problem, it's hard to take it seriously.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
MondoMouse makes your mouse mightier
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <f6qdnZB5z4TKFk7YnZ2dnUVZ_uXinZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Tim Lance <see.sig(a)bottom.com> wrote:

> And this from the last "Optimize Memory" run (taking it to 7 swap files but
> getting me back to almost a GB free memory. Even I can see that's a bunch of
> pageouts - just not sure what it means.

I think it just means that the application forced a bunch of stale pages
to be written out now, instead of later, if at all.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: Clever Monkey on
Tim Lance wrote:
> Just started trying it and while I haven't yet attempted some decent
> evaluation I am interested in others' experiences. My initial (less than 10
> mins. moderate use) was that it immediately added a swap (3 to 4) and
> dramatic improvements shown in the app's window and likewise MemoryStick.
>
> Now I have 8 apps open, including Parallels and Safari. The meter was showing
> ziltch free memory but only 4 swaps. I just ran the routiine again and I have
> almost a GB free but 6 swaps.
>
> Next will be to watch VM in Terminal. I just wanted to go ahead and get this
> posted.

Sounds like snake-oil to me.
From: Tom Harrington on
In article <f6qdnZB5z4TKFk7YnZ2dnUVZ_uXinZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Tim Lance <see.sig(a)bottom.com> wrote:

> And this from the last "Optimize Memory" run (taking it to 7 swap files but
> getting me back to almost a GB free memory. Even I can see that's a bunch of
> pageouts - just not sure what it means.

What are you trying to accomplish here? What symptom or problem are you
hoping to fix?

From: Paul Sture on
In article <tph-0ABCE7.13113814022007(a)localhost>,
Tom Harrington <tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> > http://www.activata.co.uk/products/ifreemem.html
>
> Sounds like a crock to me.

Try http://www.activata.co.uk/products/

and explore a little...