From: nyenyec on
Hi,

I have trouble setting up Mail to send any kind of email.

My company has 2 servers. Server 1 uses IMAP/SSL + SMTP + SSL with
authentication, Server 2 is an exchange server and uses plain SMTP with
authentication.

I can read emails from both of them but get all kinds of error messages
when I try to send emails.

E.g.

"Cannot send message using the server (null)"
"SMTP server XXXX doesn't support authentication."

To see if this was a network or firewall problem I installed
Thunderbird and Opera. I can use both SMTP servers from both
Thunderbird and Opera Mail without a problem on the same machine.

I also checked the Console but there were no error messages there.

What next?

-- nyenyec

From: Gerry on
In article <1165261427.796127.210580(a)j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"nyenyec" <nyenyec(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have trouble setting up Mail to send any kind of email.
>
> My company has 2 servers. Server 1 uses IMAP/SSL + SMTP + SSL with
> authentication, Server 2 is an exchange server and uses plain SMTP with
> authentication.
>
> I can read emails from both of them but get all kinds of error messages
> when I try to send emails.
>
> E.g.
>
> "Cannot send message using the server (null)"
> "SMTP server XXXX doesn't support authentication."
>
> To see if this was a network or firewall problem I installed
> Thunderbird and Opera. I can use both SMTP servers from both
> Thunderbird and Opera Mail without a problem on the same machine.
>
> I also checked the Console but there were no error messages there.
>
> What next?
>
> -- nyenyec

Go to Mail / Preferences / Accounts / Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) /
Server Settings / Authentication / select the option that fits your
service.
From: nyenyec on

Gerry wrote:

> Go to Mail / Preferences / Accounts / Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) /
> Server Settings / Authentication / select the option that fits your
> service.

That's the problem. I do have the correct server settings. The error
messages I get are completely bogus.

-- nyenyec

From: Gerry on
In article <1165262699.736148.319630(a)79g2000cws.googlegroups.com>,
"nyenyec" <nyenyec(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Gerry wrote:
> >
> > Go to Mail / Preferences / Accounts / Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) /
> > Server Settings / Authentication / select the option that fits your
> > service.
>
> That's the problem. I do have the correct server settings. The error
> messages I get are completely bogus.
>
> -- nyenyec

The error message is not bogus it's telling you that somewhere in your
setup you have entered the wrong information.

Did you in the Authentication option select "None" if it is true your
ISP does not need authentication.

I would be surprised that an ISP would not have some form of
authentication when sending email.
From: Adrian on
Gerry <everyday(a)sunrise.net> wrote:

> Did you in the Authentication option select "None" if it is true your
> ISP does not need authentication.
>
> I would be surprised that an ISP would not have some form of
> authentication when sending email.

Some SMTP do not use authentication. Definitely the OP should try
without authentication on the SMTP server. Leave password for POP
though.

--
Adrian