From: karotto on
Hi,
Just as I was going to back up my 1.5TB drive to my other, identical
drive I dropped it while spinning. It was in a case and did not hit
hard yet it won't spin up any more. I MUST get the data off it. When I
plug it in it beeps (buzzes) periodically but does not spin up. There
are no dents or any signs of damage? Any ideas how to save the data?
My last resort will be to back up the second drive then open both
drives and pull the discs off the good drive and put the discs of the
dropped drive inside and hope it will work. I realize I don't have a
clean room but perhaps I can do it anyway. This is just the last
resort. I hope some of you might have another ingenious idea to get it
to spin up. Thank you very much. Karotto
From: Rod Speed on
karotto wrote:

> Just as I was going to back up my 1.5TB drive to my other, identical
> drive I dropped it while spinning. It was in a case and did not hit
> hard yet it won't spin up any more. I MUST get the data off it. When
> I plug it in it beeps (buzzes) periodically but does not spin up. There
> are no dents or any signs of damage? Any ideas how to save the data?

The first thing to check is whether the hard drive itself
is whats failed or whether its just the enclosure or
something as basic as a cable coming off etc.

Its much more likely to be the drive tho, particularly with
a drive of that size which means it cant be a 2.5" drive.

> My last resort will be to back up the second drive then open both
> drives and pull the discs off the good drive and put the discs of the
> dropped drive inside and hope it will work.

It would be better to swap the whole drive between enclosures first.
That way you can check for a cable that has become unplugged and
can test whether its the drive or the enclosure that has failed if it isnt
just a cable that has become unplugged etc.

> I realize I don't have a clean room but perhaps I can do it anyway.

No chance with a drive of that size.

> This is just the last resort.

It would be better to use professional recovery if the data matters.
It isnt necessarily outrageously expensive.
http://www.retrodata.co.uk/

From: karotto on
Thank you. I did all that. even swapped the circuit board with my
other drive. No avail!
From: Rod Speed on
karotto wrote:
> Thank you. I did all that. even swapped the circuit board with my
> other drive. No avail!

OK, dont try swapping the platters, that will just ruin the good drive as well.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Just as I was going to back up my 1.5TB drive to my other, identical
> drive I dropped it while spinning. It was in a case and did not hit
> hard yet it won't spin up any more. I MUST get the data off it.

Oops.

> My last resort will be to back up the second drive then open both
> drives and pull the discs off the good drive and put the discs of the
> dropped drive inside and hope it will work.

DO NOT do this. You will ruin both drives and lose all of your data. You
cannot hope to perform this sort of recovery without experience and a clean
room, especially with something like a 1.5TB drive.

If you have got to have the data back, you'll stop right now and call a data
recovery service as others have suggested. It is the only way to be sure at
all. It will not be cheap, and you will make more backups next time to
prevent this from happening.

I also strongly suggest that you NEVER move an operating hard drive. Shut it
down and wait for it to stop running FIRST.

William