From: deostroll on
We have certain WMF files which do not appear on an internet explorer
web page. There is a huge database of such records, but only some
files (or records) have the issue. However we've observed that if we
convert the problematic wmf files to jpeg format and make it appear on
the page, we are able to see the image. Is there anyway we can detect
such problematic wmf files?

--deostroll
From: Matti Vuori on
deostroll <deostroll(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:1fde3c95-ce49-4c84-be88-
874d32f4c28a(a)i10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:
> We have certain WMF files which do not appear on an internet explorer
> web page. There is a huge database of such records, but only some
> files (or records) have the issue. However we've observed that if we
> convert the problematic wmf files to jpeg format and make it appear on
> the page, we are able to see the image. Is there anyway we can detect
> such problematic wmf files?

Just a thought:

There is a chance that Word uses the same library for importing WMF files
as Explorer. Therefore, I'd write a Word macro to go through all files and
see what happens - does the import methods succeed and do they create an
image in the document or not.

From: deostroll on
On May 6, 6:04 pm, Matti Vuori <xmvu...(a)kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> deostroll <deostr...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:1fde3c95-ce49-4c84-be88-
> 874d32f4c...(a)i10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:
>
> > We have certain WMF files which do not appear on an internet explorer
> > web page. There is a huge database of such records, but only some
> > files (or records) have the issue. However we've observed that if we
> > convert the problematic wmf files to jpeg format and make it appear on
> > the page, we are able to see the image. Is there anyway we can detect
> > such problematic wmf files?
>
> Just a thought:
>
> There is a chance that Word uses the same library for importing WMF files
> as Explorer. Therefore, I'd write a Word macro to go through all files and
> see what happens - does the import methods succeed and do they create an
> image in the document or not.

Don't know what you are getting into, but I am looking at running
something on a web server and finding out whether the image needs
conversion or not.

The files appear as preview on on explorer. And it is also visible via
Windows Picture & Fax Viewer application program (desktop) on winxp.

--deostroll
From: deostroll on
On May 6, 6:04 pm, Matti Vuori <xmvu...(a)kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> deostroll <deostr...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:1fde3c95-ce49-4c84-be88-
> 874d32f4c...(a)i10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:
>
> > We have certain WMF files which do not appear on an internet explorer
> > web page. There is a huge database of such records, but only some
> > files (or records) have the issue. However we've observed that if we
> > convert the problematic wmf files to jpeg format and make it appear on
> > the page, we are able to see the image. Is there anyway we can detect
> > such problematic wmf files?
>
> Just a thought:
>
> There is a chance that Word uses the same library for importing WMF files
> as Explorer. Therefore, I'd write a Word macro to go through all files and
> see what happens - does the import methods succeed and do they create an
> image in the document or not.

Did try the exercise: The macro churned up the following code (vba):

<code>
Selection.InlineShapes.AddPicture FileName:="C:\bad.wmf", LinkToFile:=
_
False, SaveWithDocument:=True
</code>

The image got gracefully added to the document too.

Now how to investigate which library/dll is responsible for this?

--deostroll