From: Virus Guy on
David Kaye wrote:
> > Check your HOSTS file. On XP (and vista and 7 also I think)
> > it's located in /system32/drivers/etc/
>
> As I previously mentioned, the hosts file is clean. The only
> entry is for local host.

I bet you have zbot.

check the permissions on the hosts file.

Also, can you bring up the task manager (control-alt-delete)? I'm
betting no.
From: David Kaye on
Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>I bet you have zbot.
>
>check the permissions on the hosts file.

I set the hosts file to read-only. Task Manager comes up fine.

I'll find out more about zbot though.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>>I bet you have zbot.

>>check the permissions on the hosts file.

| I set the hosts file to read-only. Task Manager comes up fine.

| I'll find out more about zbot though.

Setting the etc/hosts file to a Read-Only atrribute is a waste of time. Any malware can
change the attaribute at-will in WinXP and below.

--
Dave

From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> >>check the permissions on the hosts file.

> Setting the etc/hosts file to a Read-Only atrribute is a waste
> of time.

It's not that I wanted him to set the attributes - I just wanted to know
if they had been set to something wierd, like hidden, or accessible only
to the system or admin account.
From: Virus Guy on
David Kaye wrote:

> > Are you behind a Router ?
>
> The customer does not use a router (unfortunately).

Hmmm.

You have a customer that does not have a router? Meaning that he has
only 1 PC on his lan (if you can call it a lan). ??

Not having a router is ok, so long as the modem's NAT functionality has
been enabled.

If the modem doesn't have NAT, then it's time to get a new modem.

> He sent me a MalwareBytes log but it showed absolutely nothing
> of use.

The drive needs to be removed and scanned for malware on another system.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: antivirus
Next: Security Tool Virus (spyware)