From: David Kaye on
Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>You have a customer that does not have a router? Meaning that he has
>only 1 PC on his lan (if you can call it a lan). ??

Yes, this does happen. I specialize in small entrepreneurs, work at home
consultants, etc. I have quite a few of these folks.

>The drive needs to be removed and scanned for malware on another system.

I have tools mounted on a BART-PE CD volume, so I don't need to remove the HD.

From: David Kaye on
~BD~ <BoaterDave(a)NOSPAMhotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Security experts say that various types of botnets have infected
>millions of computers worldwide to date, but Chuck Norris is unusual in
>that it infects DSL modems and routers rather than PCs.

Thank you. I'll look into this.

From: Jolly Polly on
David Kaye wrote:
> Okay, the computer looks clean. The hosts file is empty except of course for
> the localhost entry.
>
> I changed the DNS from ISP provider to OpenDNS in case Comcast's DNS was
> polluted. I cleaned the cache of IE but also installed Safari and Firefox.
> The problem happens on all browsers.
>
> Here's the problem: The very first time I search for something on the
> computer using Google I get a redirect to some apparently random website.
> Let's say I'm Googling CBS. I click on the first link under Google, which
> would be www.cbs.com, but I'll get maybe yellowpages.com instead.
>
> But the next time I do the exact same Google, even after shutting down and
> restarting, I get pointed to the right place. As I said, the computer seems
> clean from a malware point of view (MalwareBytes and Avast, along with AVG).
> I have used HijackThis on it and saw nothing odd.
>
> What am I missing? I've seen redirects before but they're always consistently
> redirecting. This one always redirects just the first attempt and only with
> Google. Subsequent times the Google click goes through correctly.
>
> Ideas anyone?

I've had a similar thing recently in a computer running XP, similar in
respect that I could find no malware but it continued to redirect web
pages, but only in I.E.. I never tried other browsers to be honest.
I reset the Internet Protocol <netsh winsock reset> and reset I.E. to
default removing any personal setting and toolbars. This cured the
problem, but I don't know why.
If you do solve your problem, please post back. I don't like not knowing.
From: David Kaye on
Jolly Polly <kneedown(a)aton.com> wrote:

>I've had a similar thing recently in a computer running XP, similar in
>respect that I could find no malware but it continued to redirect web
>pages, but only in I.E.. I never tried other browsers to be honest.
>I reset the Internet Protocol <netsh winsock reset> and reset I.E. to
>default removing any personal setting and toolbars. This cured the
>problem, but I don't know why.
>If you do solve your problem, please post back. I don't like not knowing.

I'd like to know myself. I still haven't found an answer and I've reset the
IP stack with that little VB utility with the big red cross on it. I forget
the name. It's an extremely handy utility I've used hundreds of times. It
didn't change anything.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: antivirus