From: Ohmster on
I used to have a program called "Electronic Workshop" and it was great. You
could put transistors, resistors, and all kinds of electronic parts on a
board and then "run" the circuit to see how it would behave. It seems that
some other fellow was so impressed with Electronic Workshop that he started
a thing called "spice" which is the same thing only free for Linux. I
downloaded the tarball, extracted it, did the ./configure, the make, moved
all docs to "doc-pak" and then ran checkinstall "checkinstall �R make
install". The thing failed miserably, were at make(5) by the time the thing
gave up.

Has anyone got spice to install on Linux and how did you do it? The program
is here:
http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ngspice/

Oh there are binary files, deb files for Debian. Can they be used for
Fedora and if so, how?
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=38962&package_id=
31152

If not then what is my best bet for tracking down why my tarball install
failed. I really need help with this as it seems quite daunting and if
there are really 5 errors, I will not be able to find them. Many of the
lines during the make said "Entering such and such directory, file not
found, nothing to do, leaving". How do you go about dealing with that
stuff? Thank you.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: John Hasler on
Ohmster writes:
> I used to have a program called "Electronic Workshop" and it was
> great. You could put transistors, resistors, and all kinds of electronic
> parts on a board and then "run" the circuit to see how it would
> behave. It seems that some other fellow was so impressed with Electronic
> Workshop that he started a thing called "spice" which is the same thing
> only free for Linux.

Not quite. Spice is much older than Linux.

> I downloaded the tarball, extracted it, did the ./configure, the make,
> moved all docs to "doc-pak" and then ran checkinstall "checkinstall –R
> make install". The thing failed miserably, were at make(5) by the time
> the thing gave up.

You haven't given enough information, but most likely you failed to install
the build dependencies.

Hopwever, installing Spice from source is probably not what you want
anyway. See if any of these packages are available from your Fedora
repositories:

gnucap - GNU Circuit Analysis package
gspiceui - A graphical user interface for gnucap and ngspice
gwave - a waveform viewer eg for spice simulators
oregano - tool for schematical capture of electronic circuits
easyspice - A graphical frontend to the Spice simulator
avrp - Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
cl-rlc - Common Lisp RLC Circuit Simulator
electric - electrical CAD system
geda-examples - GPL EDA -- Electronics design software -- example designs
gerbv - Gerber file viewer for PCB design
gnucap - GNU Circuit Analysis package
gpsim - Simulator for Microchip's PIC microcontrollers
gsmc - Smith Chart calculator for impedance matching
gspiceui - A graphical user interface for gnucap and ngspice
gtkwave - a VCD (Value Change Dump) file waveform viewer
kicad - Electronic schematic and PCB design software
klogic - digital circuit editor and simulator for KDE
ksimus - KDE tool for simulating electrical circuits
ktechlab - circuit simulator for microcontrollers and electronics
linsmith - a tool to generate Smith Charts
oregano - tool for schematical capture of electronic circuits
pcb - printed circuit board (pcb) design program
qucs - Quite Universal Circuit Simulator
tkgate - Event driven digital circuit simulator with Tcl/Tk
vbs - Verilog Behavioral Simulation
xcircuit - Draw circuit schematics or almost anything
xsmc-calc - Smith Chart calculator for X
easyspice - A graphical frontend to the Spice simulator
eagle - Printed circuit board design tool

--
John Hasler
john(a)dhh.gt.org
From: John Hasler on
Ohmster writes:
> I just installed gnucap but cannot figure out how to work it. Apparently
> there is no menu item for it and it is a CLI program.

Unlike Spice Gnucap has an interactive mode, but it does not have a
built-in GUI. For that you want Gspiceui.
--
John Hasler
john(a)dhh.gt.org
From: Ohmster on
On 2007-11-22, John Hasler <john(a)dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Ohmster writes:
>> I just installed gnucap but cannot figure out how to work it. Apparently
>> there is no menu item for it and it is a CLI program.
>
> Unlike Spice Gnucap has an interactive mode, but it does not have a
> built-in GUI. For that you want Gspiceui.

I tried. I got gnucap installed but could not find a suitable rpm to get
the gui installed. I am trying this one now, it seems pretty good, it is
free, there are sample schematics, and even a win32 port that rocks.

http://qucs.sourceforge.net/index.html

I like this one so far. Thanks for the list. I am bound to find
something good here and so far qucs is it.

From: root on
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
> I used to have a program called "Electronic Workshop" and it was great. You
> could put transistors, resistors, and all kinds of electronic parts on a
> board and then "run" the circuit to see how it would behave. It seems that
> some other fellow was so impressed with Electronic Workshop that he started
> a thing called "spice" which is the same thing only free for Linux. I
> downloaded the tarball, extracted it, did the ./configure, the make, moved
> all docs to "doc-pak" and then ran checkinstall "checkinstall �R make
> install". The thing failed miserably, were at make(5) by the time the thing
> gave up.
>
> Has anyone got spice to install on Linux and how did you do it? The program
> is here:
> http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ngspice/
>
> Oh there are binary files, deb files for Debian. Can they be used for
> Fedora and if so, how?
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=38962&package_id=
> 31152
>
> If not then what is my best bet for tracking down why my tarball install
> failed. I really need help with this as it seems quite daunting and if
> there are really 5 errors, I will not be able to find them. Many of the
> lines during the make said "Entering such and such directory, file not
> found, nothing to do, leaving". How do you go about dealing with that
> stuff? Thank you.

I see that you might have a working solution from the
other responses to your post. Your original problem sounds
like a problem with checkinstall. If the original make
worked then you should be able to install via make install.
Checkinstall had/has problems with some versions. I think
the problem is with recent versions of tar.