From: andrew on
On 2007-12-18, Meat Plow <meat(a)petitmorte.net> wrote:

[...]

> Ok I guess I will have to install leafnode so I know what I'm talking
> about. What was your intent on using Leafnode? To filter spam I'll assume.
> Did you build it from source or install it as a Deb package?

I have always been a little puzzled at the number of people who use
Leafnode which I had always assumed was intended for dialup users.
Nevertheless some very intelligent people assured me that it offered
greater control over their Usenet experience. I bookmarked the
following:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/leafnode.html

just in case I ever decided to try leafnode and this page may be
useful to you?

Andrew

--
Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
and speak before this web that killed my father; yet
From: heavytull on
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:52:52 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> heavytull <heavytull(a)hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:11:34 +0100, Hadron wrote:
>>

>>> There should be a file do-fetch-news called from the cron entry
>>> (/etc/cron.d/leafnode) :
>>>

>> yeah this is a good idea
>
> I'm rather confused here. I took the time and effort to write out in
> detail what you should be seeing and you reply with "this is a good
> idea". What is a good idea? How was your set up? Who were the pertinent
> setting I hilited in my previous post?

I mean the concept of the do-fetch-news file is a good idea; i agree i
didn't reply correctly to your post, i replied quickly, i just should have
said that i don't have this file on my distro because leafnode doesn't
come with Slackware. but i was wondering how i would use it without to
have to run it everytime and above all as root. so i think the do-fetch-
file is a good idea.
anyway, i just noticed that slackware suggest an optional package of INN,
so i think i will uninstall leafnode and install that package.

now, just some words about that mentally ill DanC, this guy seems to have
nothing to do all his time except trolling on newsgroup, i finally found
that he is mentally ill and cannot help himself, i just ignore him, and
when he comes on with a more advanced reply that he's used then i just
reply to him normally. I don't want to hit on him, he's poor and unlucky
brainless probably. he's well known and many already killfiled him, but i
do not. Abit funny to see such specimens.
by offering him credit you're proving yourself to be a dumbass.
From: heavytull on
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:12:21 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:32:43 +0000, heavytull wrote:

>>> I'm rather confused here. I took the time and effort to write out in
>>> detail what you should be seeing and you reply with "this is a good
>>> idea". What is a good idea? How was your set up? Who were the
>>> pertinent setting I hilited in my previous post?
>>
>> I mean the concept of the do-fetch-news file is a good idea; i agree i
>> didn't reply correctly to your post, i replied quickly, i just should
>> have said that i don't have this file on my distro because leafnode
>> doesn't come with Slackware. but i was wondering how i would use it
>> without to have to run it everytime and above all as root. so i think
>> the do-fetch- file is a good idea.
>> anyway, i just noticed that slackware suggest an optional package of
>> INN, so i think i will uninstall leafnode and install that package.

>> now, just some words about that mentally ill DanC, this guy seems to
>> have nothing to do all his time except trolling on newsgroup, i finally
>> found that he is mentally ill and cannot help himself, i just ignore
>> him, and when he comes on with a more advanced reply that he's used
>> then i just reply to him normally. I don't want to hit on him, he's
>> poor and unlucky brainless probably. he's well known and many already
>> killfiled him, but i do not. Abit funny to see such specimens. by
>> offering him credit you're proving yourself to be a dumbass.
>
> Do you really want to install a full blown news server like INN?

i've read this is quite complex, i'l probably try it anyway
From: heavytull on
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:25:40 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

> Ok I guess I will have to install leafnode so I know what I'm talking
> about. What was your intent on using Leafnode?
My internet connection time is limited so i have to save it. so i need to
be able to read news offline and reply offline. i'll connect online only
for updating and send my replies.

> To filter spam I'll
> assume. Did you build it from source or install it as a Deb package?
i built it from source.
From: andrew on
On 2007-12-20, heavytull <heavytull(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:25:40 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
>

>> Ok I guess I will have to install leafnode so I know what I'm talking
>> about. What was your intent on using Leafnode?
> My internet connection time is limited so i have to save it. so i need to
> be able to read news offline and reply offline. i'll connect online only
> for updating and send my replies.

An alternative is to use slrn and slrnpull. I have not used slrnpull
myself as I use slrn directly from an nntp server but I believe it
would fit your needs. Have you had a look through the archives of
news.software.readers? You might find some more definitive advice
there.

Andrew