From: Walter Mautner on
heavytull wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:25:40 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
>

>> Ok I guess I will have to install leafnode so I know what I'm talking
>> about. What was your intent on using Leafnode?
> My internet connection time is limited so i have to save it. so i need to
> be able to read news offline and reply offline. i'll connect online only
> for updating and send my replies.

Now, I use leafnode as well. Works with every newsreader that can connect to
port 119 and localhost (127.0.0.1). You can tell leafnode to pull headers
on the first run, then let it fetch bodies you marked only, on the next
run, together with new headers. Or you can make it fetch headers _and_
bodies everytime, but (adviceable) limit number of lines a message may have
to be fetched. You can filter headers with regular expressions.
You can fetch from multiple servers in one run, and merge the results into
your newsreader(s) - they appear as one feed.
The first server on the list will be used to post, unless a "nopost" is set
for it.

>> To filter spam I'll
>> assume. Did you build it from source or install it as a Deb package?
> i built it from source.

Now, once again, what are your problems?
Does the xinetd service run? What do you get with "nmap localhost"?
Linux 2.6.22.12-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
From: heavytull on
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:09:49 +0100, Walter Mautner wrote:

OK, i ran leafnode as root and fetchnews, while leafnode runs the port 119
of localhost is reacheable, so i finally got knode getting the news
offline. that's good, but now i have to make an init file that i can run
as common user that runs leafnode and fetchnews. i don't like kron jobs
for this coz i don't connect online at regular times.
any suggestions?
From: Michael C. on
On 21 Dec 2007 19:25:30 GMT,
heavytull <heavytull(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:09:49 +0100, Walter Mautner wrote:
>
> OK, i ran leafnode as root and fetchnews, while leafnode runs the port 119
> of localhost is reacheable, so i finally got knode getting the news
> offline. that's good, but now i have to make an init file that i can run
> as common user that runs leafnode and fetchnews. i don't like kron jobs
> for this coz i don't connect online at regular times.
> any suggestions?

I'd still use a cron job, just add a line to see if the interface is
up. You may want to poke around a bit it /etc/ppp/.

HTH,

Michael C.
--
mjchappell(a)verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

You can't change the past, but you can spoil a perfectly good
present by worrying about the future.
From: Walter Mautner on
heavytull wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:09:49 +0100, Walter Mautner wrote:
>
> OK, i ran leafnode as root and fetchnews, while leafnode runs the port 119
> of localhost is reacheable, so i finally got knode getting the news
> offline. that's good, but now i have to make an init file that i can run
> as common user that runs leafnode and fetchnews. i don't like kron jobs
> for this coz i don't connect online at regular times.
> any suggestions?

You better run leafnode/fetchnews as user "news". But when you already have
the /var/spool/news structure initiated as root, you will need to
recursively chown it.
You may run it with the ppp-scripts or ifup-hooks, depending upon your
connection and linux distribution, or maybe use fcron and fcrontab which at
least lets you specify "5 minutes after startup" or so.
Or simply place a link to a script running as sudo (fetchnews likes to run
as user "news") on your desktop.
Linux 2.6.22.12-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]