From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
On 6/2/2010 20:36, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
> Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
> (!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
> Linux.

Do you plan to run the server 24 hours a day? A laptop is not designed
for that and it might over-heat itself and start a fire!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: Baho Utot on
Aragorn wrote:

> On Thursday 03 June 2010 00:41 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
> identifying as Baho Utot wrote...
>
>> RayLopez99 wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
>>> Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
>>> (!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
>>> Linux.
>>>
>>> In another thread I got into a debate about what's the best distro
>>> for a simple new Acer machine ($300) that uses the Atom uP from
>>> Intel. But in this thread I just want to know if *any* Linux distro
>>> will work on such *old* hardware.
>>
>> Thinking of using an old 1995 PC that presently has an 8086 cpu with
>> built in CGA graphics, 128k RAM upgraded from 64K, running Linux
>> 2.6.18 kernel with all the trimmings. [...]
>
> I'm quite curious how you could get Linux to run on an 8086 CPU, or are
> you talking of a subset of the Linux kernel designed for embedded
> systems with such a processor?
>
> Last time I checked, Linux requires at minimum an i386-compatible
> processor in order to use the kernel for anything other than an
> embedded system that runs only a subset of the kernel code. Not even
> an i286 will do because Linux is at minimum 32-bit - 31-bit on IBM
> mainframes.
>
> The 8086 doesn't have a protected mode, and hence, no ability to set up
> pagetables or descriptor tables, and no privilege rings, and Linux
> requires these. So in all honesty, how did you pull that off? (Unless
> you were not being serious in that statement, which, given that you are
> responding to a troll who's not capable of being serious himself, would
> of course make sense.)

The latter of course

From: AZ Nomad on
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 05:36:54 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
>Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
>(!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
>Linux.

You aren't reporting the hardware accurately. No pentium 2 was ever sold
with less than 32M of ram.
From: kryos on

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/8-of-the-best-tiny-linux-distros-683552