From: RayLopez99 on
Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
(!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
Linux.

In another thread I got into a debate about what's the best distro for
a simple new Acer machine ($300) that uses the Atom uP from Intel.
But in this thread I just want to know if *any* Linux distro will work
on such *old* hardware.

The target user's needs are VERY minimal. Very very very. Here is
what she needs:

dial-up modem for internet access. Mouse. Maybe a printer (maybe
not). Support at *any* resolution for the Dell graphics card (forget
the name--it's pretty generic though). No need for an email client--
she keeps all her emails at Yahoo, all her docs at Google apps, etc.
Everything online. No need for sound. The machine has USB but this
girl does not even know what a memory stick is. So only the USB mouse
matters.

Anybody think I can use Linux on this old setup, and, if which one?
Not even a 'best' OS --just one that will last five years or so and
allow surfing the net and maybe printing a document on a printer
locally?

RL
From: David Brown on
On 02/06/2010 14:36, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
> Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
> (!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
> Linux.

I take it you mean 512 MB ram? Otherwise the machine could barely run
DOS...

> In another thread I got into a debate about what's the best distro for
> a simple new Acer machine ($300) that uses the Atom uP from Intel.
> But in this thread I just want to know if *any* Linux distro will work
> on such *old* hardware.
>
> The target user's needs are VERY minimal. Very very very. Here is
> what she needs:
>
> dial-up modem for internet access. Mouse. Maybe a printer (maybe
> not). Support at *any* resolution for the Dell graphics card (forget
> the name--it's pretty generic though). No need for an email client--
> she keeps all her emails at Yahoo, all her docs at Google apps, etc.
> Everything online. No need for sound. The machine has USB but this
> girl does not even know what a memory stick is. So only the USB mouse
> matters.
>
> Anybody think I can use Linux on this old setup, and, if which one?
> Not even a 'best' OS --just one that will last five years or so and
> allow surfing the net and maybe printing a document on a printer
> locally?

Have you looked at www.distrowatch.org? They have lists of distros in
various categories, including those for small systems. Personally, I'd
install a minimal Debian system, add a lightweight desktop (lxde seems
popular) and just the applications I need. But for a more ready-to-run
system you could try lubuntu (Ubuntu with lxde).

It was not long ago that I installed Debian on a Pentium 90 MHz with 64
MB ram. It was a server, so no X or gui, but it runs fine on that hardware.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
> Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
> (!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
> Linux.

Do you mean 512kbyte or 512Mbtye?
I honestly dont think I have run X on less that 4Mbytes successfully,
and that wasn't Linux.

I cant remember the ast time I saw a PeeCee with under 640K RAM.

But it was an 80286, not a Pentium

If its 512Mbyte, its totally adequate and just about any distro will
suit the machine.

> In another thread I got into a debate about what's the best distro for
> a simple new Acer machine ($300) that uses the Atom uP from Intel.
> But in this thread I just want to know if *any* Linux distro will work
> on such *old* hardware.
>
> The target user's needs are VERY minimal. Very very very. Here is
> what she needs:
>
> dial-up modem for internet access. Mouse. Maybe a printer (maybe
> not). Support at *any* resolution for the Dell graphics card (forget
> the name--it's pretty generic though).

If its using an LCD screen you need the card to drive at the LCD
resolution ONLY.

> No need for an email client--
> she keeps all her emails at Yahoo, all her docs at Google apps, etc.
> Everything online. No need for sound. The machine has USB but this
> girl does not even know what a memory stick is. So only the USB mouse
> matters.
>
> Anybody think I can use Linux on this old setup, and, if which one?
> Not even a 'best' OS --just one that will last five years or so and
> allow surfing the net and maybe printing a document on a printer
> locally?

Mint/debian/ubuntu etc etc.

In the end, they differ more in how bleeding edge and unstable they are.
You don't need any of that. So pick something boring and stable, like
'Debian stable'

End users won't notice much difference once set up, if any. Theres more
difference user wise between KDE and Gnome desktops, than the distros
underneath.

I've not set up a dial-up modem on Linux to date.

Well I sort of did, but it was a 3G dongle. That's the nastiest part.
The rest is bog standard.

You will need about 20Gigs of disk at most for all this.

If at all possible set it up where you have a broadband connection
initially, so it can update itself.

There may be issues in that you may need to REMOVE a bunch of stuff that
relies on te internet, like ntp etc.

None of this is distro specific though. Juts pick one, and tune it till
it works, hand it over, and forget about it for 5 years.

A friend did juts that when his daughter left for Uni. Old 256M Ram
laptop. It got SUSE linux on it. never faltered. When it died she wanted
another one just like the old one....

From: B Sellers on
On 06/02/2010 05:36 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
> Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
> (!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
> Linux.

If you are correct in saying 512 KiB or half a megabyte
I doubt you could run much.

If you have 512 MiB though you might run quite well
with a number of distros. SliTaz 1.0 is very small and requires
a net connection to get the packages someone might want
to run.

> In another thread I got into a debate about what's the best distro for
> a simple new Acer machine ($300) that uses the Atom uP from Intel.
> But in this thread I just want to know if *any* Linux distro will work
> on such *old* hardware.
>
> The target user's needs are VERY minimal. Very very very. Here is
> what she needs:
>
> dial-up modem for internet access. Mouse. Maybe a printer (maybe
> not). Support at *any* resolution for the Dell graphics card (forget
> the name--it's pretty generic though). No need for an email client--
> she keeps all her emails at Yahoo, all her docs at Google apps, etc.
> Everything online. No need for sound. The machine has USB but this
> girl does not even know what a memory stick is. So only the USB mouse
> matters.

Try Knoppix 6.1 or 6.2 if you have that 512 megabytes of
memory. You will have to read some documentation so that
you can invoke the install-script at boot of the CD when it
comes up with the terminal interface.
If you had enough memory you could run in memory
and save preferences to a file on the hard disk.

On a Pentium 3 at 700 MHz and 384 MiB of ram I got
Mandriva 2008.1 running nicely with a simple reduction in the
number of virtual desktops to one (1). This was a Dell Inspiron
4000 with only 8 megabytes of video ram which had
Windoze XP installed and I forget the fixed disk size but it
had enough to do a split and setup a dual boot.
Before the Mandriva I ran a old Knoppix on it.

> Anybody think I can use Linux on this old setup, and, if which one?
> Not even a 'best' OS --just one that will last five years or so and
> allow surfing the net and maybe printing a document on a printer
> locally?

At that age the problem is with the physical components and the
5 year limit.

> RL

Later
bliss
From: GlowingBlueMist on
On 6/2/2010 7:36 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Thinking of using on an old 1998 laptop PC that presently has a
> Pentium II, with a built in generic Dell modem, USB mouse, 512k RAM
> (!), DVD/CD, running Windows XP fine now (very slow), some distro of
> Linux.
>
> In another thread I got into a debate about what's the best distro for
> a simple new Acer machine ($300) that uses the Atom uP from Intel.
> But in this thread I just want to know if *any* Linux distro will work
> on such *old* hardware.
>
> The target user's needs are VERY minimal. Very very very. Here is
> what she needs:
>
> dial-up modem for internet access. Mouse. Maybe a printer (maybe
> not). Support at *any* resolution for the Dell graphics card (forget
> the name--it's pretty generic though). No need for an email client--
> she keeps all her emails at Yahoo, all her docs at Google apps, etc.
> Everything online. No need for sound. The machine has USB but this
> girl does not even know what a memory stick is. So only the USB mouse
> matters.
>
> Anybody think I can use Linux on this old setup, and, if which one?
> Not even a 'best' OS --just one that will last five years or so and
> allow surfing the net and maybe printing a document on a printer
> locally?
>
> RL
You might want to check out the list of ISO images available at
http://www.livecdlist.com/ .

Burn a couple to disk that look promising and give them a run directly
from the CD or DVD and check them out. Most should work just fine with
just about any hardware capable of running XP. Find what you like and
then you can install it to the hard drive.

I'd start with a download of the Puppy Linux. It's small, easy to
download and will run from a CD which you burn, don't waste a DVD as it
is a really small download. I also have a copy of it running from a
flash drive with no problems, on computers that support booting from
USB. Great for troubleshooting computers that have a suspected CD/DVD
problem. The user interface is easy to learn which helps when trying to
train someone who barely knows the difference between a computer mouse
and the fuzzy kind...

UNetbootin is a really easy way to load many distributions onto flash
drives should someone wish to do so.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It really makes it easy to download the ISO directly to the flash drive
from the internet or from an ISO you have already downloaded. When used
properly it makes the ISO bootable directly from the flash drive.

Burning a distribution to flash saves on CD/DVD's until you find one
that you like. Then you can burn a CD\DVD version if you need one.