From: Robert Hindla on
The problem arises, as it seems it must eventually, that somebody types all
those addresses into the cc: line instead of a bcc: line of a general
announcement e-mail and potentially bad things happen. The world will
discover the names of all one's customers.

How can we take away cc:, just as we can add or remove the "from" line or
the "bcc" line?

From: VanguardLH on
Robert Hindla wrote:

> The problem arises, as it seems it must eventually, that somebody types all
> those addresses into the cc: line instead of a bcc: line of a general
> announcement e-mail and potentially bad things happen. The world will
> discover the names of all one's customers.
>
> How can we take away cc:, just as we can add or remove the "from" line or
> the "bcc" line?

There is no functional difference between the To and Cc headers. The
separation is based on the old memo scheme and doesn't really make sense
when memos became e-mails. Do YOU somehow read an e-mail differently
because you were in the Cc header instead of the To header? No, you see
the same content and you don't care if you were considered a primary or
secondary recipient since it's still the same e-mail. Also, neither the
To or Cc (nor the Bcc) headers are actually used to specify the
recipients of your e-mails, anyway. That is *data* which is part of
your message and may not match the RCPT-TO commands issued by the e-mail
client to specify the recipients to the mail server.

To avoid your own user blunders, just enter all recipients in the To
field.
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
The From line is just hidden - it makes no difference. You want to prevent
users from using the CC field. Best solution might be VBA that checks the #
of addresses and refuses to send if there are more than x in the to or cc
fields. I believe you can hide the CC button on the form using GPO but that
still leaves the CC button in the address book.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?