From: velanwins on
Hi,

Our production server - w3wp/AppPool crashes intermittenly. When crashes it
leaves the following messages in the logs.

HTTP.exe log has statments as
1. "Connection_Dropped DefaultAppPool"
2. "Connection_Abandoned_By_AppPool DefaultAppPool"

Event Logs has statements as
1. "A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' exceeded time
limits during shut down. The process id was '3180'. "
2. "A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' suffered a fatal
communication error with the World Wide Web Publishing Service. The process
id was '1376'. The data field contains the error number. "
3. "A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated
unexpectedly. The process id was '216'. The process exit code was '0x1'."
4. "A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' failed to respond
to a ping. The process id was '3908'."
5. "Application pool 'DefaultAppPool' is being automatically disabled due
to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool."

Our production System is running with
1. win 2003 server SP2
2. IIS 6.0
3. 3 GB RAM

But when many hits comes to the site w3wp keeps on increasing its size and
some times if it goes just beyond 350+MB of physical memory usage it is
crashed. But some times it is crashed when its size is 600+MB.

And our production server has the following limitations as well.
1. Cannot Auto recycle W3WP.exe during operating hours:
Because INLIS maintains Session - InProc mode as ePayment is involved.

2. Cannot use Web Garden [More than one W3WP.exe on IIS]:
All the Searches on the site communicates to a single VC++ utility.
And this utility gets data from ADABAS which is running on different network
by utilizing a leased line channel.

My queries regarding the above issue:
1. What could be reason the w3wp/apppool crashes?
2. How can I avoid w3wp/apppool crashes?
3. How can I maximize the RAM usage of w3wp/apppool to use GB of RAM to
cater to serve more no of hits on the site?

--
Thanks & Regards,

Velan.R