From: jw on
I was given a desktop Apple case and monitor, It comes up fine when I
add to it my USB mouse and keyboard. I notice the monitor connects
with a DVI connector. I wanted to try the monitor one of my MS XP SP3
systems, but I see right off that my DVI connector does not match -
the Apple connector is larger than my connector.

Is there an adapter to make them match? Will my MS machine work then
with this monitor? The monitor is a nice flat-screen.

Duke
From: Paul on
jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:
> I was given a desktop Apple case and monitor, It comes up fine when I
> add to it my USB mouse and keyboard. I notice the monitor connects
> with a DVI connector. I wanted to try the monitor one of my MS XP SP3
> systems, but I see right off that my DVI connector does not match -
> the Apple connector is larger than my connector.
>
> Is there an adapter to make them match? Will my MS machine work then
> with this monitor? The monitor is a nice flat-screen.
>
> Duke

Example of a solution.

http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-2-ADC.pdf

You can see here, that pin 1 and pin 2, carry power to the monitor.
That is why the Gefen box has a 24 volt power supply. I don't know
exactly what the USB cable would be doing, but it does make a
nice source of +5V if that voltage happens to be needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

You also have to consider the native resolution of the monitor, and
whether your video card supports it or not. Running at the native
resolution, gives the nicest results.

Paul
From: jw on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:36:57 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

>Example of a solution.
>
>http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-2-ADC.pdf
>
>You can see here, that pin 1 and pin 2, carry power to the monitor.
>That is why the Gefen box has a 24 volt power supply. I don't know
>exactly what the USB cable would be doing, but it does make a
>nice source of +5V if that voltage happens to be needed.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

Well I sure learned something today! It was laziness on my part that
I did not Google the subject. Sorry about that.

>You also have to consider the native resolution of the monitor, and
>whether your video card supports it or not. Running at the native
>resolution, gives the nicest results.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul and thanks.

Yes, I understand about native resolutions, and had dealt with them. I
can check to see what the resolution is for that monitor, and I will.

From: Tinkerer on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:
>> I was given a desktop Apple case and monitor, It comes up fine when I
>> add to it my USB mouse and keyboard. I notice the monitor connects
>> with a DVI connector. I wanted to try the monitor one of my MS XP SP3
>> systems, but I see right off that my DVI connector does not match -
>> the Apple connector is larger than my connector.
>>
>> Is there an adapter to make them match? Will my MS machine work then
>> with this monitor? The monitor is a nice flat-screen.
>>
>> Duke
>
> Example of a solution.
>
> http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-2-ADC.pdf
>
> You can see here, that pin 1 and pin 2, carry power to the monitor.
> That is why the Gefen box has a 24 volt power supply. I don't know
> exactly what the USB cable would be doing, but it does make a
> nice source of +5V if that voltage happens to be needed.

Probably not the case, but could the 24 volts for the monitor be provided
from the USB supply via some kind of step up transformer within the unit?
--
Tinkerer

From: Paul on
Tinkerer wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
>> jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:
>>> I was given a desktop Apple case and monitor, It comes up fine when I
>>> add to it my USB mouse and keyboard. I notice the monitor connects
>>> with a DVI connector. I wanted to try the monitor one of my MS XP SP3
>>> systems, but I see right off that my DVI connector does not match -
>>> the Apple connector is larger than my connector.
>>>
>>> Is there an adapter to make them match? Will my MS machine work then
>>> with this monitor? The monitor is a nice flat-screen.
>>>
>>> Duke
>> Example of a solution.
>>
>> http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-2-ADC.pdf
>>
>> You can see here, that pin 1 and pin 2, carry power to the monitor.
>> That is why the Gefen box has a 24 volt power supply. I don't know
>> exactly what the USB cable would be doing, but it does make a
>> nice source of +5V if that voltage happens to be needed.
>
> Probably not the case, but could the 24 volts for the monitor be provided
> from the USB supply via some kind of step up transformer within the unit?

Too many watts. USB is only good for 5V @ 500mA. 2.5W would not run a 30W monitor,
which might be a typical spec for a small LCD monitor.

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Microphone does not work MORE