From: jw on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 10:38:40 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

>jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:

>>> You could always record "Top Gun" :-)
>>>
>>> I would say the results you got, are great progress. It means
>>> the computer end is working. Now, all you have to do, if figure
>>> out whether the phono cartridge wiring is disconnected, some switch
>>> on the turntable is in the wrong position, and so on. Or whether
>>> the preamp has a bad power source, is muted, or has a blown fuse
>>> inside.
>>>
>>> The phono amp is not strong enough to drive magnetic headphones
>>> (like 32 ohm ones). It has an output impedance of 1000 ohms, which
>>> is suitable for driving the computer Line In, or the line level
>>> input of your stereo system. But that isn't enough to drive headphones.
>>>
>>> How is the cartridge connected to the cabling in the tone arm
>>> of the phono gadget ? Is is soldered, or is a connector involved ?
>>> Have you checked that everything is still intact ? All
>>> wires secure ?
>>>
>>> You need to debug, stage by stage.
>>>
>>> For sensitive equipment, I might use the 60Hz hum from my
>>> fingertip, as a test stimulus. If you disconnect the phonograph
>>>from the preamp, then touch one of the input terminals on the
>>> preamp, the 60Hz hum should be heard on the computer (output)
>>> side. Always turn down the volume control, on the computer,
>>> so you don't blow out any speakers. Then turn it up slowly and see
>>> if your fingertip applies enough noise to make the preamp work.
>>> With the RCA-style jacks, you'd need to touch the "center pin"
>>> contact on each channel as a test.
>>>
>>> The TC750LC has a level knob on the front, which you have to
>>> turn up to get sound on the output. If the front level knob is
>>> set to zero, you get no output.
>>>
>>> http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750lcpp.html
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> I tried connecting the phono player to the computer via the preamp.
>> As I plug the RCA connectors together, I get a decided hum, which
>> disappears once the plugs are fully connected. The audio from the
>> phono vinyl record is still completely silent however.
>>
>> Duke
>
>I could be wrong, but it seems like the preamp has a problem.

That is my thinking, and I fear that this might be the case. It seems
unlikely since it is relatively new and used little and always worked
fine.
I know S... happens!

>(You really shouldn't have connected the VCR to the input of the
>preamp, as that is about 500x more signal than it needs.)

I only did that because (a) I got sound when I hooked the VCR directly
up the computer's 'line in' and (b) it put the preamp in the circuit,
I thought that this could indicate that the preamp indeed is bad, and
it may have.

>If you have RCA cabling for this setup, you should be able to touch
>the center pin of the RCA cable. Plug the RCA cable into the
>preamp, and touch the exposed pin on the other end of the cable
> _ _
> _____ cable cable
> Hum <_____ ********** Preamp ********* Computer
> _ _

The above diagram came through all messed up. Maybe you could say the
diagram in words? I would appreciate it. My guess as to what you
say is phono cable to preamp in---preamp out to computer in
---computer out to speaker. Would I try to touch the RCA connector
going into the preamp? That cable is hard-wired to the phono.
IOW since I think we are dealing with the female RCA plugs here.
which one would I stick a pin in? The female RCA on the preamp?

From: Paul on
jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:

>> _ _
>> _____ cable cable
>> Hum <_____ ********** Preamp ********* Computer
>> _ _
>
> The above diagram came through all messed up. Maybe you could say the
> diagram in words? I would appreciate it. My guess as to what you
> say is phono cable to preamp in---preamp out to computer in
> ---computer out to speaker. Would I try to touch the RCA connector
> going into the preamp? That cable is hard-wired to the phono.
> IOW since I think we are dealing with the female RCA plugs here.
> which one would I stick a pin in? The female RCA on the preamp?

Plug a male to male cable, into the female RCA preamp input.
Touch your finger to the end of the male cable. Listen for hum.

Paul
From: jw on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:28:42 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

>Plug a male to male cable, into the female RCA preamp input.
>Touch your finger to the end of the male cable. Listen for hum.
>
> Paul

My preamp RCA input connection is female and is red and white (two).
I have a cable of which one end's red and white are male and match the
preamp's female red and white, the other end is single and is male.
I touched the cable's male and did not hear a hum out of the preamp.
Not even when I max'ed the knob.

Thanks again

Duke
From: Jon Danniken on
jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:28:42 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>

>> Plug a male to male cable, into the female RCA preamp input.
>> Touch your finger to the end of the male cable. Listen for hum.
>>
>> Paul
>
> My preamp RCA input connection is female and is red and white (two).
> I have a cable of which one end's red and white are male and match the
> preamp's female red and white, the other end is single and is male.
> I touched the cable's male and did not hear a hum out of the preamp.
> Not even when I max'ed the knob.

Lick your finger and tap it (also while bridging the gap between the tip and
the shield); you should hear *something*, a thumping, or static, or a hum.

Jon

From: jw on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 06:05:38 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
<jonSPAMMENOTdanniken(a)yahSPAMhoo.com> wrote:

>Lick your finger and tap it (also while bridging the gap between the tip and
>the shield); you should hear *something*, a thumping, or static, or a hum.
>
>Jon

All these sounds i should be listening for - should come out of the
preamp or out of the computer speakers?

Bridging the male-female gap between either red or white link or the
other?

Sorry to be so dumb.

Duke
 |  Next  |  Last