From: Sydney on
My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.

I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate module.
It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told me
that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying a new
one !
I am puzzled.
Any advice on this ?

From: jfg on

"Sydney" <kayzen(a)free.fr> wrote in message
> My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.
>
> I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate module.
> It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
> I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told me
> that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying a new
> one !
> I am puzzled.
> Any advice on this ?

If memory is not in a compartment on the base (a handy location), then it's
probably under the keyboard. For sure you have a site that accepts updated
modules. Maybe a quick look-see at the manual would help. J

From: Ken on
Sydney wrote:
> My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.
>
> I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate
> module. It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
> I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told
> me that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying
> a new one !
> I am puzzled.
> Any advice on this ?

It appears that this laptop "has 256MB or 512MB on the motherboard."
You can view the manual at
http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/files_Downloads/PSA60C/SA60EXUM.PDF

If your faulty RAM is on the MB, you are going to have a serious
problem overcoming it.
From: Paul on
Ken wrote:
> Sydney wrote:
>> My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.
>>
>> I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate
>> module. It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
>> I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told
>> me that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying
>> a new one !
>> I am puzzled.
>> Any advice on this ?
>
> It appears that this laptop "has 256MB or 512MB on the motherboard."
> You can view the manual at
> http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/files_Downloads/PSA60C/SA60EXUM.PDF
>
> If your faulty RAM is on the MB, you are going to have a serious
> problem overcoming it.

The manual says memory exists in two places. Memory is soldered to
the motherboard (256MB or 512MB). There is also a memory slot
on the bottom of the computer, covered by the "memory module cover"
(see page 56).

You would start, using the knowledge of how much memory is present
in the computer. If memtest86 says there is only 256MB or 512MB,
then the computer may not have an SODIMM in the slot. It could be
using just the motherboard (soldered down) memory. If the
soldered in place memory is bad, you'll need a new motherboard.

If the computer reports 1GB of memory, then some of the memory
is on the motherboard, and the rest is the SODIMM installed
on the bottom of the machine. If that was the case, you could
unplug the SODIMM and run memtest86 again, to test the soldered
down memory. If memtest86 passes, with the SODIMM unplugged,
then you won't need a new motherboard.

This is supposed to be a photo of the A60/A65, showing an added
memory module.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA65/disassembly/big/Toshiba_A65_02.jpg

The onboard memory is supposed to be in the upper center of the
photo, under the gold colored material. I can't tell if that
is an actual module, or just chips soldered to the motherboard.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA65/disassembly/big/Toshiba_A65_17.jpg

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/satellite-a60-a65-motherboard.jpg

Paul
From: Ken on
Paul wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>> Sydney wrote:
>>> My Toshiba has deffective RAM. memtest86 shows it.
>>>
>>> I have taken apart the whole machine and did not find RAM separate
>>> module. It seems to me that the ram is included in the motherboard.
>>> I called the Toshiba maintenance in France (where I am ) and they told
>>> me that the memory module is separate and offer to replace it by buying
>>> a new one !
>>> I am puzzled.
>>> Any advice on this ?
>>
>> It appears that this laptop "has 256MB or 512MB on the motherboard."
>> You can view the manual at
>> http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/files_Downloads/PSA60C/SA60EXUM.PDF
>>

>> If your faulty RAM is on the MB, you are going to have a serious
>> problem overcoming it.
>
> The manual says memory exists in two places. Memory is soldered to
> the motherboard (256MB or 512MB). There is also a memory slot
> on the bottom of the computer, covered by the "memory module cover"
> (see page 56).
>
> You would start, using the knowledge of how much memory is present
> in the computer. If memtest86 says there is only 256MB or 512MB,
> then the computer may not have an SODIMM in the slot. It could be
> using just the motherboard (soldered down) memory. If the
> soldered in place memory is bad, you'll need a new motherboard.
>
> If the computer reports 1GB of memory, then some of the memory
> is on the motherboard, and the rest is the SODIMM installed
> on the bottom of the machine. If that was the case, you could
> unplug the SODIMM and run memtest86 again, to test the soldered
> down memory. If memtest86 passes, with the SODIMM unplugged,
> then you won't need a new motherboard.

I have a theoretical question for you: Do you think the MB would work
if the on board RAM were disabled and additional RAM were installed into
the RAM slot? Most MB's adjust the RAM when polled upon start up.
Supposed (and most people would never attempt to do this) the on board
RAM were disabled by opening the CAS and RAS lead or even the power lead
for the IC? Would the first RAM seen then be that installed in the
slot? Just curious.

> This is supposed to be a photo of the A60/A65, showing an added
> memory module.
>
> http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA65/disassembly/big/Toshiba_A65_02.jpg
>

> The onboard memory is supposed to be in the upper center of the
> photo, under the gold colored material. I can't tell if that
> is an actual module, or just chips soldered to the motherboard.
>
> http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA65/disassembly/big/Toshiba_A65_17.jpg
>

> http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/satellite-a60-a65-motherboard.jpg
>
> Paul

 |  Next  |  Last