From: Andreas Rutishauser on
Salut Michelle

In article <michelle-A69B6C.14193227072010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > > The MacPro has four eSATA bays. And the intended target audience for
> > > the iMac doesn't need eSATA.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity - why wouldn't you want eSATA? You can get
> > enclosures with eSata interfaces for about half the price of drives with
> > FW400 or FW800.
>
> Um, are you sure you worded that correctly? You're comparing enclosures
> with drives.

the wording is not correct from the beginning from your side:
there is no thing like an eSATA bay!
Mac Pros come with SATA bays
eSATA is for external, that is what the "e" stands for, so with eSATA we
are talking encloures...

Back to step 1?

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-27-2010 20:37, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> Eventually; look how long it took to get Firewire 800 into all the Macs.
> (Oh, it didn't get into all the Macs; the MacBook doesn't have FireWire at
> all.)

Mine does. (But not 800)

--
Wes Groleau

HOW to teach grammar ?
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=88
From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article <yob8w4wnu5u.fsf(a)panix2.panix.com>,
BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:

> Lloyd Parsons <lloydparsons(a)mac.com> writes:
> > BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
>
> > > Just out of curiosity - why wouldn't you want eSATA? You can
>
> > eSATA is flakey, reminds me of the joy of SCSI. Works damn well when it
> > works, but can be a frustrating mess to get drive/enclosure that works
> > well with all controllers.
>
> Fair enough. I'd hate to go down the SCSI path again. My only
> experience with eSata was with an external to hang off my TiVo and
> you're right - it worked with some drives but not with others. I
> bought one which ended up not working and it became my desktop back up
> and I had to buy another which would work with the TiVo. (On the
> desktop, I used FW or USB - I forget which. It's been a couple of years.)

The DirecTV subscribers have had this issue with the HR series of
HDDVRs. Constant battle trying to find an extremely quiet enclosure and
drive that actually works. For the most part, one of the noisier ones
works really well for anyone it seems. That noise is an issue for that
use.

Because of this flakiness, we've not seen eSATA catch on in consumer
space yet. Sure, there are drive/enclosures with eSATA and USB, but I
suspect most are being used with USB.

--
Lloyd

From: George Kerby on

On 7/27/10 10:28 PM, in article
lloydparsons-65A1C8.22281327072010(a)port80.individual.net, "Lloyd Parsons"
<lloydparsons(a)mac.com> wrote:

> In article <yob4ofkzl43.fsf(a)panix2.panix.com>,
> BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
>
>> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> writes:

>>> The MacPro has four eSATA bays. And the intended target audience
>>> for the iMac doesn't need eSATA.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity - why wouldn't you want eSATA? You can
>> get enclosures with eSata interfaces for about half the price
>> of drives with FW400 or FW800. What's the downside?
>>
>> (My old 17" Core Duo iMac doesn't even have FW800. Those new ones are
>> starting
>> to look *really* attractive, but as long as this thing is still
>> working okay, I've got little reason to spend up.)
>
> eSATA is flakey, reminds me of the joy of SCSI. Works damn well when it
> works, but can be a frustrating mess to get drive/enclosure that works
> well with all controllers.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one having that experience. I'm always
crawling around on the floor in back of the MacPro jiggling the connections
when the b/u drives don't appear on the desktop.

From: George Kerby on

On 7/28/10 7:56 AM, in article
lloydparsons-9DDFF8.07564328072010(a)port80.individual.net, "Lloyd Parsons"
<lloydparsons(a)mac.com> wrote:

> In article <yob8w4wnu5u.fsf(a)panix2.panix.com>,
> BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
>
>> Lloyd Parsons <lloydparsons(a)mac.com> writes:

>>> eSATA is flakey, reminds me of the joy of SCSI. Works damn well when it
>>> works, but can be a frustrating mess to get drive/enclosure that works
>>> well with all controllers.
>>
>> Fair enough. I'd hate to go down the SCSI path again. My only
>> experience with eSata was with an external to hang off my TiVo and
>> you're right - it worked with some drives but not with others. I
>> bought one which ended up not working and it became my desktop back up
>> and I had to buy another which would work with the TiVo. (On the
>> desktop, I used FW or USB - I forget which. It's been a couple of years.)
>
> The DirecTV subscribers have had this issue with the HR series of
> HDDVRs. Constant battle trying to find an extremely quiet enclosure and
> drive that actually works. For the most part, one of the noisier ones
> works really well for anyone it seems. That noise is an issue for that
> use.
>
> Because of this flakiness, we've not seen eSATA catch on in consumer
> space yet. Sure, there are drive/enclosures with eSATA and USB, but I
> suspect most are being used with USB.

eSATA is not the future, despite what some may believe. Flaky and no
daisychain.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: What does $2550 get you?