From: thepixelfreak on

New iMac and upcoming MacPro. No USB 3.0, no eSATA. Why not? Can't be
that hard to add say one of each. I know, there aren't that many usb
3.0 peripherals out there YET. eSATA? Not so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/exclusive-apple-dictated-light-peak-creation-to-intel-could-be/

Still,

seems a shame not to bump up the connection speeds. USB 3.0 and eSATA
are well understood and wouldn't take away any precious resources from
Light Peak development if that's in flight over at One Infinite Loop.

--

thepixelfreak

From: Jolly Roger on
In article <2010072713381675249-not(a)dotcom>,
thepixelfreak <not(a)dot.com> wrote:

> New iMac and upcoming MacPro. No USB 3.0, no eSATA. Why not? Can't be
> that hard to add say one of each. I know, there aren't that many usb
> 3.0 peripherals out there YET. eSATA? Not so much.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/exclusive-apple-dictated-light-peak-creatio
> n-to-intel-could-be/
>
> Still,
>
> seems a shame not to bump up the connection speeds. USB 3.0 and eSATA
> are well understood and wouldn't take away any precious resources from
> Light Peak development if that's in flight over at One Infinite Loop.

*yawn*

JR
From: BreadWithSpam on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> writes:
> In article <2010072713381675249-not(a)dotcom>, thepixelfreak <not(a)dot.com>
> wrote:
>
> > New iMac and upcoming MacPro. No USB 3.0, no eSATA. Why not?
>
> The MacPro has four eSATA bays. And the intended target audience
> for the iMac doesn't need eSATA.

Just out of curiosity - why wouldn't you want eSATA? You can
get enclosures with eSata interfaces for about half the price
of drives with FW400 or FW800. What's the downside?

(My old 17" Core Duo iMac doesn't even have FW800. Those new ones are starting
to look *really* attractive, but as long as this thing is still
working okay, I've got little reason to spend up.)

From: BreadWithSpam on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> writes:

> > > The MacPro has four eSATA bays. And the intended target audience for
> > > the iMac doesn't need eSATA.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity - why wouldn't you want eSATA? You can get
> > enclosures with eSata interfaces for about half the price of drives with
> > FW400 or FW800.
>
> Um, are you sure you worded that correctly? You're comparing enclosures
> with drives.

You know what I meant. eSata is less expensive than FW800. Why
shouldn't consumers get faster and cheaper?

> > What's the downside?
>
> I didn't say "want"; I said "need". From Apple's standpoint, putting an
> eSATA port on an iMac raises the cost of manufacture.

I'd be quite suprised if it adds much. FW800 costs money to put on
them, too, and they've stepped up to that. FW800 costs *more* to put
on them.

> > My old 17" Core Duo iMac doesn't even have FW800.
>
> Nor does mine, but my camcorder has FW400, so it doesn't matter. My
> external drive is a Time Capsule, and it's connected by ethernet.

I'm seriously thinking about a household NAS with RAID. Netgear's got
a four slot one (no drives) for not much more than $300.

From: nospam on
In article <yobzkxcy58b.fsf(a)panix2.panix.com>,
<BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net> wrote:

> > > What's the downside?
> >
> > I didn't say "want"; I said "need". From Apple's standpoint, putting an
> > eSATA port on an iMac raises the cost of manufacture.
>
> I'd be quite suprised if it adds much. FW800 costs money to put on
> them, too, and they've stepped up to that. FW800 costs *more* to put
> on them.

no kidding. esata is cheap and far more common than firewire.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: What does $2550 get you?
Next: Bluetooth on MacPro