From: JF Mezei on
Couple weeks ago, I had to buy a Magic Mouse to replace the failing
Mighty Mouse.

At first, it seemed to work fine. But then, Bluetooth reared its ugly
head because in the end, it doesn't work reliably, ad I still have the
mighty mouse for mousing, and the magic mouse for scrolling (when it works).

A while back, it was mentioned that there was an easy fix for the Mac
Pro due to antenna being misconnected in the factory.

So, I took the Mac Pro (2009) apart. Really apart, one need to remove
the "cage" into which the CPU slide in to have access to the blue tooth
area. Turns out that the 2009 series have very different layout.

The airport antenna complex is underneath the unit, towards the front.
The area where there is the plastic model number etc is where those
antennas are.

But the blue tooth daughterdcard is in the lower back, with the antenna
wire going behind the motherboard at extreme lower back corner. In other
words, there is no magic fix.

Questions:

What does a blue tooth antenna consist of ? Is this something I could
easily solder onto the daughter card and position properly inside the
MacPro so that reception would be acceptable at the mouse position ?

I didn't go as far as taking the motherboard out so I could see what the
bluetooth antenna consists of.
Is iot just a wire ? or is there something at the end of the wire ?
From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <4c4f46a5$0$16674$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Couple weeks ago, I had to buy a Magic Mouse to replace the failing
> Mighty Mouse.
>
> At first, it seemed to work fine. But then, Bluetooth reared its ugly
> head because in the end, it doesn't work reliably, ad I still have the
> mighty mouse for mousing, and the magic mouse for scrolling (when it works).
>
> A while back, it was mentioned that there was an easy fix for the Mac
> Pro due to antenna being misconnected in the factory.
>
> So, I took the Mac Pro (2009) apart. Really apart, one need to remove
> the "cage" into which the CPU slide in to have access to the blue tooth
> area. Turns out that the 2009 series have very different layout.
>
> The airport antenna complex is underneath the unit, towards the front.
> The area where there is the plastic model number etc is where those
> antennas are.
>
> But the blue tooth daughterdcard is in the lower back, with the antenna
> wire going behind the motherboard at extreme lower back corner. In other
> words, there is no magic fix.
>
> Questions:
>
> What does a blue tooth antenna consist of ? Is this something I could
> easily solder onto the daughter card and position properly inside the
> MacPro so that reception would be acceptable at the mouse position ?
>
> I didn't go as far as taking the motherboard out so I could see what the
> bluetooth antenna consists of.
> Is iot just a wire ? or is there something at the end of the wire ?

Microwave antennas are small and fussy so I wouldn't mess with them.

Some of the Apple Bluetooth devices need a firmware update to keep them
from transmitting non-stop. Making sure those are all done would be a
good start.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <4c4f46a5$0$16674$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Couple weeks ago, I had to buy a Magic Mouse to replace the failing
> Mighty Mouse.
>
> At first, it seemed to work fine. But then, Bluetooth reared its ugly
> head because in the end, it doesn't work reliably, ad I still have the
> mighty mouse for mousing, and the magic mouse for scrolling (when it works).
>
> A while back, it was mentioned that there was an easy fix for the Mac
> Pro due to antenna being misconnected in the factory.
>
> So, I took the Mac Pro (2009) apart. Really apart, one need to remove
> the "cage" into which the CPU slide in to have access to the blue tooth
> area. Turns out that the 2009 series have very different layout.
>
> The airport antenna complex is underneath the unit, towards the front.
> The area where there is the plastic model number etc is where those
> antennas are.
>
> But the blue tooth daughterdcard is in the lower back, with the antenna
> wire going behind the motherboard at extreme lower back corner. In other
> words, there is no magic fix.
>
> Questions:
>
> What does a blue tooth antenna consist of ? Is this something I could
> easily solder onto the daughter card and position properly inside the
> MacPro so that reception would be acceptable at the mouse position ?
>
> I didn't go as far as taking the motherboard out so I could see what the
> bluetooth antenna consists of.
> Is iot just a wire ? or is there something at the end of the wire ?

I think if I were you, before I started yanking internals out, I'd call
an Apple expert and let them troubleshoot it for you.

<http://www.apple.com/support/expert>

JR