From: Mike F on
This provided the way to do this how I originally intended (by either OU or
AD group- this explains how to apply the policy by group membership)

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=5776

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:41:54 -0500, "Mike F" <m(a)m.com> wrote:

>The goal of having the correct recipient policy apply at the time the user
>is created is reduce steps and error when creating a user.

Then automate the creation of mailboxes.

>There are 3 different sister companies that have users in different
>countries, not joined to the domian, that will be using Outlook Anywhere
>(RPC over HTTPS)to gain access to their mailboxes. Their email address
>domains for each of the companies are all different and this is what I'm
>trying to control when the user is setup. I can go back into the user
>account and modify the email addresses to make them what they need to be
>manually, but I fear either a recipient policy being reapplied

Why would you fear that?

>or an admin
>making an error when editing the email addresses manually (or forgetting to
>do that).
>
>Given this extra info, do you have a recommended way to create the user,
>having the correct recipient policy apply to them based on something done
>when creating the user (if not what OU they're in or group membership since
>those don't apparently work)?

Creating a user is an operation separate to assigning a mailbox. You
can create the user, populate the "company" attribute (for example)
and use the value of that attribute in each of the several recipient
policies.

The use of OUs is very often misused in the way that you're attemting
to use them. You may, in the future, find it necessary to move some of
the users to a different OU (to make use of group policies, to allow
different sets of administrators to operate on users within the OU,
etc.). Moving them to another OU wouldn't alter the e-mail address
they've been assigned, but it would mean that you'd have to construct
another recipient policy.

Instead, use a value that belongs to the user no matter where it
exists in your AD hierarchy.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP