From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Teflon" <spambaitmeister(a)gmail.com>

| On Aug 11, 2:04 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
| wrote:

>> Your definition of malware does not count. As a Google Grouper you already have low
>> credibility.
>> One of my fields is malware. Not the assumption of malware but real malcious software
>> as
>> being the true definition of malware.
>> What you have described is not malware and for you to go any further, provide an
>> obfuscated URL that the shortcut was using.

| 'obfuscated'? WOW, that's a big word Dave. Be careful, there are 6th
| graders trying to read this group.

| I guess you didn't see my post's reference to - www.adon-demand.de/red/2303/
| - the URL that was behind the eBay icon downloaded by either FoxIt or
| Opera. The obvious intent was to get a user to click on the eBay
| icon, thinking it would take them to eBay, but instead, take them to
| another website. According to Webster, that is a classic definition
| of 'obfuscated'.

| Seems 'Reading Comprehension' isn't one of your 'fields' - nor is
| Spelling. 'Malicious' is how you spell that word. Thought you would
| want to know, since that's your 'field'.

| A happy Google Grouper here.

Yes, "obfuscated URL". A term I have used for a number of years on Usenet and it has
NOTHING to do with eBay being the name of a ShortCut and and the URL of a eBay partner.

An "obfuscated URL" is a URL that is modified to make the URL human readable and not
clickable such as hxxp://www.google.com or h**p://www.google.com

I'm glad you can deal with polysyllabic words, just too bad they shoot right over your
Texas head.

As for my spelling and grammar, yeah, they are attrocious. While I care to a certain
degree, I don't when it comes to Usenet. Neither cxhange the fact that Google Groupers
don't understand the Internet, and certainly not Usenet so coming to a faux conclusion
about malware is not afr off the target. Yrrah was right from the start.

--
Dave

From: Teflon on
On Aug 11, 4:47 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:

> Yes, "obfuscated URL".  A term I have used for a number of years on Usenet and it has
> NOTHING to do with eBay being the name of a ShortCut and and the URL of a eBay partner.

Just so you don't get yourself further wrapped up in your shorts, it
wasn't a short cut and it wasn't named eBay. (It's that reading
comprehension thing again, isn't it.) The malware referenced was a
trusted Icon (eBay's) used to trick a naive user into clicking on a
malicious active link. The active URL linked to that Icon is NOT an
eBay partner.

> An "obfuscated URL" is a URL that is modified to make the URL human readable and not
> clickable such as hxxp://www.google.comor h**p://www.google.com

Well then, if an "obfuscated URL" is not an active link, it couldn't
possibly be malware, now could it? I thought you were the malware
expert here. I'm quickly losing faith in your expertise. You must be
an obfuscator.

> I'm glad you can deal with polysyllabic words, just too bad they shoot right over your
> Texas head.

Texas? I'm from Texas? I think most Texans would find those to be
fighting words. I am NOT from Texas - though, there's nothing wrong
with being from Texas.

> As for my spelling and grammar, yeah, they are attrocious.

Perhaps your 7th grade teacher can recommend some remedial courses for
you next year.

From: Shadow on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:48:52 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>| However, after all was installed, I noticed an eBay icon on the
>>| desktop that I had not put there.

>I'm sorry -- Where is the malware ?
I believe he described it a few lines above. "An eBay icon I
DID NOT PUT THERE".
Everyone here also forgotten the definition of malware ?
If this is the David Lipman that posted for years in the
anti-virus/malware groups, I'm surprised you had to ask. Look up the
softpedia definition of ad/malware.
VLC is one of the last true big freeware programs left, but I
noted that even they are leaving their phone-home boxes checked by
default now.
[]'s
The PC at the hospital I work at has some 20 toolbars and a
lot of other "useful" add-ons installed by innocent users.
On more that one occasion it really fsckd up a medical
emergency, its almost impossible to find the search bar, and when you
manage to type in the poison's commercial name, you get flooded with
ads for rat-killers and insecticides. No antidotes. Now THAT is
malware.
From: What's in a Name? on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:15:15 +0800, Teflon <spambaitmeister(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I'm sorry -- Where is the malware ?
>> You ask if FoxIt and Opera are known to be malwrae distributers (and
>> you state that ONLY
>> in the subject and failed to put that in the body of your post) and
>> fail to provide and
>> information or evidence of "malware".
>>

> Excuse me, Dave, no where in my post did I 'state' that FoxIt and
> Opera were malware distributors. I merely asked a question, which is
> considerably different from making a statement. Therefore, your
> defense of these two vendors may be premature.
>
> As to the malware that prompted the question, I guess that depends on
> your definition of malware. My definition would include any uninvited
> thing put on my system that deviously masks its ultimate purpose
> behind a guise of legitimacy. The eBay icon, that is actually a
> pointer to a website that is NOT eBay, fits that definition to a tee.
> Now if you enjoy playing these 'I wonder where this link will take me'
> games, then you probably would not define that as malware.
>
>> Neither FoxIt or Opera are known to distribute malware!
>
> Per your definition of malware, not mine.

since I started using linux, I have yet to see this behavior. As a matter
of fact, there is nothing on my desktop that I didn't put there.
--
This message was created using Opera on Puppy Linux
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
From: Franklin on
Bear_Bottoms wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:54:17 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:
>
>> Foragers sniffed up my web site with Opera. Hummer says they also
>> did him.
>
> Was it version 9.80? Cos if it was, it was za kAT, and he's slam
> dunked!!!!

Mr Bottoms, I have let the team know you need some assistance someone
should be along soon.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Royal TS