From: Gordon on

"Terry R." <F1Com(a)NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message
> On 10/30/2009 2:28 PM On a whim, Gordon pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> "Dyndrilliac"<Dyndrilliac(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm sick of having everything I need to start my day in Outlook with the
>>> exception of NNTP based services like Newsgroups / UseNet (like this
>>> one,
>>> for
>>> example). It is a feature that should have always been in Outlook,
>>
>> Err no. Outlook was/is designed primarily for CORPORATE use and most
>> corporations do NOT want their employees wasting their time on
>> Usenet.....
>>

> Yeah, just on MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, iTunes, etc...

None of which use port 119 the NNTP port.....

From: VanguardLH on
Dyndrilliac wrote:

> I'm sick of having everything I need to start my day in Outlook with the
> exception of NNTP based services like Newsgroups / UseNet (like this one, for
> example). It is a feature that should have always been in Outlook, and I'm
> not enough of a sucker to pay anyone another 20-30$ just get a feature
> Outlook should have had all along. With that said, does anyone know of any
> free NNTP add-ins for Outlook?

And why should Microsoft include features in a *corporate* oriented
e-mail client when corporate customers have NOT been clamoring for a
feature that they consider a waste of their employee's time? So, of
those workstations at work, just how many have you seen that have TV
tuners in them so the company can lose money on employees watching
"Oprah" and "As the World Churns" everyday?

Not everyone that develops commercial software is going to kowtow to
your personal wants. I'm sure if you came up with $200K that Microsoft
might consider allocating some manhours to adding NNTP support and then
thoroughly testing it in alpha testing and then a year, or more, in beta
status before releasing it.

I have heard of no free add-ons to Outlook (any version) that add NNTP
support to Outlook. There are paid ones, like Newshound, but you're too
cheap to buy it or your parents won't fork out the money and you won't
do chores to earn it. So you're stuck with the free solutions, which
means you'll be using an NNTP client, like Outlook Express, Thunderbird,
Xananews, Xnews, MesNews, Dialog, and others.

You could go whine to Shoreline Software that their commercial Newshound
product should be free because, gee, it should've been free all along,
especially for your singular consideration. Uh huh.

If everything you "need to start your day" is in Outlook, you don't have
much to do.
From: Bob I on
Enable the Web Toolbar, then Customize the Web toolbar to add the "News"
menu item. Clicking that Menu Item fires off the Newsreader in Outlook
Express.

From: Terry R. on
On 10/30/2009 3:34 PM On a whim, Gordon pounded out on the keyboard

> "Terry R."<F1Com(a)NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message
>> On 10/30/2009 2:28 PM On a whim, Gordon pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> "Dyndrilliac"<Dyndrilliac(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Err no. Outlook was/is designed primarily for CORPORATE use and most
>>> corporations do NOT want their employees wasting their time on
>>> Usenet.....
>>>
>> Yeah, just on MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, iTunes, etc...
>>

> None of which use port 119 the NNTP port.....

I believe your emphasis was on employees NOT wasting their time.
Doesn't matter how it's done, does it?

Terry R.
From: Gordon on

> On 10/30/2009 3:34 PM On a whim, Gordon pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> "Terry R."<F1Com(a)NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message
>>> On 10/30/2009 2:28 PM On a whim, Gordon pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Yeah, just on MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, iTunes, etc...
>>>

>> None of which use port 119 the NNTP port.....
>>

> I believe your emphasis was on employees NOT wasting their time. Doesn't
> matter how it's done, does it?

Yes it does actually. AFAIK it's far easier to track employees using web
sites than it is to track traffic via the NNTP port...