From: RichA on
I sure hope so. Memory Stick was just a product of Sony arrogance.
xD was an interesting follow-on to Smart Media, but it just did not
keep pace with SD.

From: Keith Nuttle on
On 1/17/2010 6:48 PM, RichA wrote:
> I sure hope so. Memory Stick was just a product of Sony arrogance.
> xD was an interesting follow-on to Smart Media, but it just did not
> keep pace with SD.

I just checked the Olympus website. Of the ones I checked with removable
memory all use the xD card.
From: R. Mark Clayton on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I sure hope so.
> Memory Stick was just a product of Sony arrogance.

Sort off, it was an attempt to use technical incompatability to lock
customers in - a strong reason (along with DRM and malware) to avoid them.

> xD was an interesting follow-on to Smart Media, but it just did not
> keep pace with SD.

Indeed although it struggles on here and there.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD_card

Looks like its early size advantage has been lost the disadvantage list is
long, so Fuji & Olympus have abandonded it.

From: Peter Huebner on
In article <QKadnUpd3bsDIM7WnZ2dnUVZ8tadnZ2d(a)bt.com>,
nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com says...

> Looks like its early size advantage has been lost the disadvantage list is
> long, so Fuji & Olympus have abandonded it.

That size is as much disadvantage as advantage, they are just a bit too
awkward to handle at times (particularly when trying to insert into card
readers, the slot in the cameras is pretty well matched). I actually
went and bought a Oly mausb-200 pen drive that takes xD cards as memory
to get past the card reader annoyance.
I do not, by the way, have sausage-fingers.

-P.
From: GMAN on
In article <3fa82943-1445-4943-86ac-59b31d8a94fd(a)c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I sure hope so. Memory Stick was just a product of Sony arrogance.
>xD was an interesting follow-on to Smart Media, but it just did not
>keep pace with SD.

Oh but if microsoft invented their own memory , it would be a work of genious?