From: Robert L. Oldershaw on
On Jun 21, 4:26 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> If you don't believe me, just try to resolve the issue I brought
> up earlier using any of those theories: what is the "cause" of
> the fire on this match?

Well, for starters how about: motion, then friction, then heat, then
chemical reactions, then fire?

Are you saying that going from an unlit match to a flaming match is an
ACAUSAL process?

What exactly is your point?

Can you specify any physical system undergoing any specific physical
interaction that violates causality.

Please skip the Platonic obfuscation and deal with real systems doing
real testable things.

RLO
www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw
From: Tom Roberts on
Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
> On Jun 21, 4:26 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> If you don't believe me, just try to resolve the issue I brought
>> up earlier using any of those theories: what is the "cause" of
>> the fire on this match?
>
> Well, for starters how about: motion, then friction, then heat, then
> chemical reactions, then fire?
> Are you saying that going from an unlit match to a flaming match is an
> ACAUSAL process?

No.

> What exactly is your point?

That you cannot actually specify the cause of that fire. And therefore, you
cannot construct a sensible physical theory based on such "causes". Your usage
of "causality" is NAIVE, and no modern physical theory has it, except possibly
as an approximation.

> Can you specify any physical system undergoing any specific physical
> interaction that violates causality.

I'm not sure what "violates causality" means. There are certainly many
non-causal systems for which we have good physical models. Such as classical
electrodynamics, in which charge does not "cause" the field, and the field does
not "cause" the charge, and yet charge and field are 100% correlated via
Maxwell's equations.

Note that classical electrodynamics does indeed have causality in the modern
sense -- it is not naive, and is not subjective like your usage: the field at a
given point depends only on the charges and field within its past light cone,
and is completely independent of everything outside its past light cone. Another
aspect is that timelike-separated events have a definite order (independent of
frame), while spacelike-separated events do not.

Note that this meaning separates things which can affect the
fields at a given point from things which cannot. But it makes
no attempt to specify what "is" the "cause" of the field(s) at
that point. Indeed in GR and classical electrodynamics, the
relevant field(s) everywhere within the past lightcone can be
said to "cause" the field(s) at that point (but one must be
speaking rather loosely).

This is not at all what you mean by "causality". So beware of PUNs.

The NAIVE causality you espouse arises in these theories when
there is only a single object within the past lightcone that
has nonzero field(s), so it is the only thing which can affect
the field(s) at the point in question, and thus can be said
to be the "cause" of those field(s) in the naive sense.

Tom Roberts
From: eric gisse on
Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
[...]

Robert, have you actually studied enough {gravitationa, electromagnetic,
quantum} field theory to have _seen_ retarded/advanced potentials?

From: BURT on
On Jun 23, 10:06 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
> > On Jun 21, 4:26 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >>         If you don't believe me, just try to resolve the issue I brought
> >>         up earlier using any of those theories: what is the "cause" of
> >>         the fire on this match?
>
> > Well, for starters how about: motion, then friction, then heat, then
> > chemical reactions, then fire?
> > Are you saying that going from an unlit match to a flaming match is an
> > ACAUSAL process?
>
> No.
>
> > What exactly is your point?
>
> That you cannot actually specify the cause of that fire. And therefore, you
> cannot construct a sensible physical theory based on such "causes". Your usage
> of "causality" is NAIVE, and no modern physical theory has it, except possibly
> as an approximation.
>
> > Can you specify any physical system undergoing any specific physical
> > interaction that violates causality.
>
> I'm not sure what "violates causality" means. There are certainly many
> non-causal systems for which we have good physical models. Such as classical
> electrodynamics, in which charge does not "cause" the field, and the field does
> not "cause" the charge, and yet charge and field are 100% correlated via
> Maxwell's equations.
>
> Note that classical electrodynamics does indeed have causality in the modern
> sense -- it is not naive, and is not subjective like your usage: the field at a
> given point depends only on the charges and field within its past light cone,
> and is completely independent of everything outside its past light cone. Another
> aspect is that timelike-separated events have a definite order (independent of
> frame), while spacelike-separated events do not.
>
>         Note that this meaning separates things which can affect the
>         fields at a given point from things which cannot. But it makes
>         no attempt to specify what "is" the "cause" of the field(s) at
>         that point. Indeed in GR and classical electrodynamics, the
>         relevant field(s) everywhere within the past lightcone can be
>         said to "cause" the field(s) at that point (but one must be
>         speaking rather loosely).
>
> This is not at all what you mean by "causality". So beware of PUNs.
>
>         The NAIVE causality you espouse arises in these theories when
>         there is only a single object within the past lightcone that
>         has nonzero field(s), so it is the only thing which can affect
>         the field(s) at the point in question, and thus can be said
>         to be the "cause" of those field(s) in the naive sense.
>
> Tom Roberts

Time is always flowing ahead energy floating in it.

MItch Raemsch
From: hanson on
"Tom Roberts" <tjroberts137(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Robert L. Oldershaw wrote:
>> Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[snip bantering over timely minutia]

hanson wrote:
It all boils and gets down to the properties of a definition for
time, which is by definition anthropic & hence questionable
in the greater and deeper scheme of things. ...
So, for human povs and purposes, if you elect to define that
= Time is the sequential occurrence or manifestation
= of events, items or processes in nature =
then all your petty arguments fall away. You can even set
restrictive sub-definition that allows time to be what is useful
in your experiment... since sequences can go back and/or
forwards, (arrow of time), accelerate or dilate, be periodic
or aperiodic etc, etc... Why all the big deal about time.
Thanks for the laughs, though... ahahahaha...ahahanson
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Inertia still lying for Einstein
Next: Doctrine of need