From: RichA on
The Sigma cameras remind me of how the large corporation kept Howard
Beal on the air in the movie "Network." The big corporation wanted
him kept on the air (despite the fact he had poor ratings), to serve a
greater purpose. Sigma sells lower-tier lenses and for some reason,
they believe they need a kind of mascot for them, even thought that
mascot doesn't sell on its own.

Dpreview.
Sigma UK to start shipping SD15 digital camera
Sigma UK has announced the price and availability of the SD15 digital
SLR. Announced at the Photokina 2008 exhibition, this 14MP camera (4.7
million pixel images with three pieces of color data recorded at each
location) with a large FOVEON X3 sensor will start shipping in the UK
from July at a suggested retail price of £899.99. The company has also
announced its 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens is now available in
Canon EF mount at a suggested retail price of £649.99. Sigma, Nikon,
Sony and Pentax fit will follow shortly.
From: Peter on
"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
The Sigma cameras remind me of how the large corporation kept Howard
Beal on the air in the movie "Network." The big corporation wanted
him kept on the air (despite the fact he had poor ratings), to serve a
greater purpose. Sigma sells lower-tier lenses and for some reason,
they believe they need a kind of mascot for them, even thought that
mascot doesn't sell on its own.

Dpreview.

<snip>

What fish are you trying to catch with your breath?

--
Peter
Since Tony didn't say it, I did

From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:21:02 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: The Sigma cameras remind me of how the large corporation kept Howard
: Beal on the air in the movie "Network." The big corporation wanted
: him kept on the air (despite the fact he had poor ratings), to serve
: a greater purpose. Sigma sells lower-tier lenses and for some reason,
: they believe they need a kind of mascot for them, even thought that
: mascot doesn't sell on its own.

Well, why not a lizard or a puppy? That should be cheaper than trying to make
cameras.

Bob
From: nospam on
In article <m5f7169i2un4o16r9lplbtb0t6hggn6294(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:21:02 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> : The Sigma cameras remind me of how the large corporation kept Howard
> : Beal on the air in the movie "Network." The big corporation wanted
> : him kept on the air (despite the fact he had poor ratings), to serve
> : a greater purpose. Sigma sells lower-tier lenses and for some reason,
> : they believe they need a kind of mascot for them, even thought that
> : mascot doesn't sell on its own.
>
> Well, why not a lizard or a puppy? That should be cheaper than trying to make
> cameras.

and they'd sell a whole lot better too.
From: George Kerby on

On 6/12/10 10:20 AM, in article
4c13a5b4$0$5543$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> The Sigma cameras remind me of how the large corporation kept Howard
> Beal on the air in the movie "Network." The big corporation wanted
> him kept on the air (despite the fact he had poor ratings), to serve a
> greater purpose. Sigma sells lower-tier lenses and for some reason,
> they believe they need a kind of mascot for them, even thought that
> mascot doesn't sell on its own.
>
> Dpreview.
>
> <snip>
>

> What fish are you trying to catch with your breath?

Mullet: He seeks companionship.