From: hasanito on
G'day
I've got the P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard and happily using it for some
time now... but just recently, I've used the CPU-z software (http://
www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) to check my system and I've noticed my DDR2
rams are not running at their optimal speed.
I've got 2 X 1gb Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 rams that can run at 200Mhz,
266Mhz and 333Mhz, but their current speed is 266Mhz!!

Is this a bios setting problem? can it be fixed?
I'll appreciate any suggestions on this...

cheers

From: Paul on
hasanito wrote:
> G'day
> I've got the P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard and happily using it for some
> time now... but just recently, I've used the CPU-z software (http://
> www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) to check my system and I've noticed my DDR2
> rams are not running at their optimal speed.
> I've got 2 X 1gb Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 rams that can run at 200Mhz,
> 266Mhz and 333Mhz, but their current speed is 266Mhz!!
>
> Is this a bios setting problem? can it be fixed?
> I'll appreciate any suggestions on this...
>
> cheers

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5AD2%20Deluxe/e1672_p5ad2deluxe.pdf

Set "AI Overclocking" to [Manual].

A new setting should appear, that says "DRAM Frequency". You
can set that to the desired value.

This assumes you have not been manually tweaking memory
timings. There is another section in the manual, where
there is an item "Configure DRAM Timing by SPD" and by
default it is [Enabled]. The BIOS should calculate the
required timing settings, once you set the "DRAM Frequency".
So you shouldn't have to set the timings.

If you need to change the memory timings, setting "Configure
DRAM Timing by SPD" to [Disabled], will cause the manual
settings for the memory, to appear in the BIOS page.

Generally speaking, the more things you set in an Asus BIOS,
to [Manual], the more additional settings appear.

HTH,
Paul
From: Deke on
On 27 Apr 2007 01:00:32 -0700, hasanito <haskac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>G'day
>I've got the P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard and happily using it for some
>time now... but just recently, I've used the CPU-z software (http://
>www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) to check my system and I've noticed my DDR2
>rams are not running at their optimal speed.
>I've got 2 X 1gb Kingston DDR2 PC-5300 rams that can run at 200Mhz,
>266Mhz and 333Mhz, but their current speed is 266Mhz!!
>
>Is this a bios setting problem? can it be fixed?
>I'll appreciate any suggestions on this...
>
>cheers

Be very careful. Last year, while I was adjusting/forcing my cmos
memory timings, I completely destroyed my hard disk.