From: "Ollie" olivili at hot mail dot c o on
I have not yet connected the front panel audio to P5E motherboard and would like to avoid the smoke. Please share your experience and advices.

My new theory is, that the reason why the AAFP header is not on the motherboard is that the SupremeFX II card is included in the P5E package. Could you confirm or deny the following assumptions for the header at the back end of the SupremeFX II card.

"High Definition Audio" = [Enabled]
"Front Panel Type" = [HD Audio] This is the default setting
1 MIC2_L 2 GND
3 MIC2_R 4 -ACZ_DET
5 LINE2_R 6 FSENSE1
7 FAUDIO_JD 8 No Pin
9 LINE2_L 10 FSENSE2

"High Definition Audio" = [Enabled]
"Front Panel Type" = [AC97]
Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
1 MIC 2 GND
3 MIC Power 4 NC
5 Line Out (R) 6 NC
7 NC 8 No Pin
9 Line Out (L) 10 NC

"High Definition Audio" = Disabled
Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
1 NC 2 NC
3 NC 4 NC
5 NC 6 NC
7 NC 8 No Pin
9 NC 10 NC

If this assumption is correct, then I should leave the default setting in BIOS, forget the ADH header on motherboard, and use the AAFP header in SupremeFX II with the following wire assignments:
AUD_GND -> Pin 2
FPOUT_R -> Pin 5
RET_R -> Pin 6
FPOUT_L -> Pin 9
RET_L -> Pin 10
If I will change the "Front Panel Type" to [AC97], then I will get the sound both in the headset and in the speaker system. The default value (HD Audio) is better, because it will cut-off the speakers, when the headset plug is inserted in the front panel.

In addition of the AAFP in the SupremeFX II, there is another, smaller header. What would be its purpose?

Cheers, Ollie

PS. I did google SupremeFX and browsed through AsusTek web site to find the manual for SupremeFX, but didn't find it. What is the URL for the manual?
"Ollie" <olivili at hot mail dot c o m> wrote in message news:b-edneocF5_Uvs7anZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d(a)comcast.com...
This card has only the ADH header on the motherboard and no AAFP header. In the some of the related boards, such as P5E-VM and P5E-WS, the situation is reverse - there is AAFP header but no ADH header. Then there are boards, such as P5B, which have both headers.

The problem that I am trying to solve is to enable the headset connector in Antec SonataII. I think that I cannot use the standard connector in the prewired cable, but I have to connect 4 or 5 of the 7 wires directly to the ADH connector.

Question 1:
- what ADH pins I should use for FPOUT_R/L, RET_R/L, and AUD_GND

Question 2:
- what is the proper BIOS setting for
> "High Definition Audio", which have options [Enabled] and [Disabled]
> "Front Panel Type", which have options [AC97] and [HD Audio]

One of the issues is that the manual defines these setting to control the AAFP connector and there is no AAFP connector on this motherboard.

There has been several questions about the pin assignments in the AAFP and ADH connecters and here is the information I found from Intel. Please let me know if this is correct for Asus boards.

High Definition Audio Link Header (AHD, Azalia Digital Header)

Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
1 BCLK 2 Ground
3 RST 4 3.3 V/1.5 V I/O
5 SYNC 6 Ground
7 SDO 8 3.3V_CORE
9 SDI 10 +12 V
11 No connect 12 Key (no pin)
13 No connect 14 3.3 V/1.5V STBY
15 No connect 16 Ground

Front Panel Audio Header (AAFP, Analog Audio Front Panel)

Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
1 [Port 1] Left channel 2 Ground
3 [Port 1] Right channel 4 PRESENCE# (Dongle present)
5 [Port 2] Right channel 6 [Port 1] SENSE_RETURN
7 SENSE_SEND (Jack detection) 8 Key (no pin)
9 [Port 2] Left channel 10 [Port 2] SENSE_RETURN

In some other Intel documents the pin 4 in HD Audio Link Header is only for 3.3 V and pins 9, 11, 13, 15 are used for SDI0, SDI1, Aud RSVD, and Aud RSVD.

Cheers, Ollie

From: Paul on
Ollie wrote:
> I have not yet connected the front panel audio to P5E motherboard and
> would like to avoid the smoke. Please share your experience and advices.
>
> My new theory is, that the reason why the AAFP header is not on the
> motherboard is that the SupremeFX II card is included in the P5E
> package. Could you confirm or deny the following assumptions for the
> header at the back end of the SupremeFX II card.
>
> "High Definition Audio" = [Enabled]
> "Front Panel Type" = [HD Audio] This is the default setting
> 1 MIC2_L *2 GND*
> 3 MIC2_R 4 -ACZ_DET
> *5 LINE2_R* *6 FSENSE1
> * 7 FAUDIO_JD 8 No Pin
> *9 LINE2_L* *10 FSENSE2*
>
> "High Definition Audio" = [Enabled]
> "Front Panel Type" = [AC97]
> Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
> 1 MIC *2 GND*
> 3 MIC Power 4 NC
> *5 Line Out (R)* 6 NC
> 7 NC 8 No Pin
> *9 Line Out (L)* 10 NC
>
> "High Definition Audio" = Disabled
> Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
> 1 NC 2 NC
> 3 NC 4 NC
> 5 NC 6 NC
> 7 NC 8 No Pin
> 9 NC 10 NC
> If this assumption is correct, then I should leave the default setting
> in BIOS, forget the ADH header on motherboard, and use the AAFP header
> in SupremeFX II with the following wire assignments:
>
> AUD_GND -> Pin 2
> FPOUT_R -> Pin 5
> RET_R -> Pin 6
> FPOUT_L -> Pin 9
> RET_L -> Pin 10
>
> If I will change the "Front Panel Type" to [AC97], then I will get the
> sound both in the headset and in the speaker system. The default value
> (HD Audio) is better, because it will cut-off the speakers, when the
> headset plug is inserted in the front panel.
>
> In addition of the AAFP in the SupremeFX II, there is another, smaller
> header. What would be its purpose?
>
> Cheers, Ollie
>
> PS. I did google SupremeFX and browsed through AsusTek web site to find
> the manual for SupremeFX, but didn't find it. What is the URL for the
> manual?

I agree that with the Sonata, only five wires should be connected.

Basically, the Sonata jacks have three contacts (tip, ring, sleeve).
MIC and MIC_PWR are tip and ring on the microphone jack.
LINEOUT_L and LINEOUT_R are tip and ring on the headphone jack.
Audio_GND is a common ground for sleeve on both jacks.

That means 1,3,5, and 9 on one side are to be connected
(MIC, MIC_PWR, LINEOUT_R, LINEOUT_L). And the ground on
pin 2 is AUD_GND on the Sonata. There is no need to wire
up the return wires, because an HDAudio system (faking AC'97 header)
does not use the return signals.

(This is copied from a Sonata manual I have on disk. Don't
connect item 6 and 7. I added signal names to the end of each line.)
1. Microphone Signal Pin: Connect the MIC connector to this pin. MIC
2. Microphone Power: Connect the MIC-BIAS connector to this pin. MIC_PWR
3. Ground Pin: Connect the AUD GND connector to this pin. GND
4. Front Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-R connector to this pin. LINEOUT_R
5. Front Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the FPOUT-L connector to this pin. LINEOUT_L
6. Rear Right Speaker Out Pin: Connect the RET-R connector to this pin.
7. Rear Left Speaker Out Pin: Connect RET-L connector to this pin.

HDAudio has enough channels in the sound chip, that return
signals are not needed (to support a sound muting function
when the headphones are plugged in). HDAudio can fake the
mute function, simply by having separate sound channels for
everything, detecting when headphones have been plugged in,
and then muting the green connector on the back of the computer.

One thing I do not understand about current HDaudio silicon, is
how the jack sensing is done. I know that some companies have
patents for audio sensing, where they measure the impedance
of the connected device. The connected device is not DC
connected, as virtually every input and output on a
sound chip is AC coupled with a small capacitor. When you look
around the sound chip, you should see a pile of small caps for
that purpose. To measure the impedance, they'd need to do
something like insert an ultrasonic signal into the jack,
and sense the current flow. Or something similar. The
exact mechanism is never detailed in the CODEC datasheets.

The Azalia standard from Intel, addresses the use of "side contact"
pairs on the jack. The jack has tip, ring, and sleeve. That
is three contacts. But, in theory, a jack can also have an
isolated pair of switch contacts, and the switch closes when
a plug is inserted in the jack. These switches are connected
to (2) four resistor trees, so that a total of eight jacks
can be sensed. The varying DC voltage value from the resistor
tree, is fed to a couple sense pins on the CODEC, digitized,
and that gives a four bit value for each tree, indicating which
jacks have plugs in them. All the complexity is necessary, so that
only a couple pins are needed on the CODEC, to detect jack
presence.

Since the vast majority of computer cases are still AC'97, they
don't have the side contacts on the jack. The last time I looked,
I wasn't even able to find the proper jack for sale to do it.

That means jack sensing is done using the proprietary or patented
method, without need for the resistor ladder or sense pins. It
means "FSENSE1" and "FSENSE2" in the above table wouldn't be
needed, and neither would there be a need for PRESENCE#, since
the header is not HDaudio.

So only five wires should be needed, just enough to get the
basic audio signals to the two jacks in question. The rest of
it seems to be covered by the CODEC, by means I don't understand.

Paul
From: "Ollie" olivili at hot mail dot c o on
Paul,

Thanks for the detailed explanations.

Cheers, Ollie

PS. I got my P5E just today and I can confirm that the other connector is
for audio input from DVD/CD. If I only had the SupremeFX II manual, it would
be a nice bonus.

From: Paul on
Ollie wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanations.
>
> Cheers, Ollie
>
> PS. I got my P5E just today and I can confirm that the other connector is
> for audio input from DVD/CD. If I only had the SupremeFX II manual, it would
> be a nice bonus.

Guessing at the connections isn't a lot of fun. It would at least
be nice for them to confirm that standard pinouts are being used.

Paul