From: "Ollie" olivili at hot mail dot c o on
This card has only the ADH header on the motherboard and no AAFP header. In the some of the related boards, such as P5E-VM and P5E-WS, the situation is reverse - there is AAFP header but no ADH header. Then there are boards, such as P5B, which have both headers.

The problem that I am trying to solve is to enable the headset connector in Antec SonataII. I think that I cannot use the standard connector in the prewired cable, but I have to connect 4 or 5 of the 7 wires directly to the ADH connector.

Question 1:
- what ADH pins I should use for FPOUT_R/L, RET_R/L, and AUD_GND

Question 2:
- what is the proper BIOS setting for
> "High Definition Audio", which have options [Enabled] and [Disabled]
> "Front Panel Type", which have options [AC97] and [HD Audio]

One of the issues is that the manual defines these setting to control the AAFP connector and there is no AAFP connector on this motherboard.

There has been several questions about the pin assignments in the AAFP and ADH connecters and here is the information I found from Intel. Please let me know if this is correct for Asus boards.

High Definition Audio Link Header (AHD, Azalia Digital Header)

Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
1 BCLK 2 Ground
3 RST 4 3.3 V/1.5 V I/O
5 SYNC 6 Ground
7 SDO 8 3.3V_CORE
9 SDI 10 +12 V
11 No connect 12 Key (no pin)
13 No connect 14 3.3 V/1.5V STBY
15 No connect 16 Ground

Front Panel Audio Header (AAFP, Analog Audio Front Panel)

Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
1 [Port 1] Left channel 2 Ground
3 [Port 1] Right channel 4 PRESENCE# (Dongle present)
5 [Port 2] Right channel 6 [Port 1] SENSE_RETURN
7 SENSE_SEND (Jack detection) 8 Key (no pin)
9 [Port 2] Left channel 10 [Port 2] SENSE_RETURN

In some other Intel documents the pin 4 in HD Audio Link Header is only for 3.3 V and pins 9, 11, 13, 15 are used for SDI0, SDI1, Aud RSVD, and Aud RSVD.

Cheers, Ollie

From: Paul on
Ollie wrote:
> This card has only the ADH header on the motherboard and no AAFP
> header. In the some of the related boards, such as P5E-VM and P5E-WS,
> the situation is reverse - there is AAFP header but no ADH header. Then
> there are boards, such as P5B, which have both headers.
>
> The problem that I am trying to solve is to enable the headset connector
> in Antec SonataII. I think that I cannot use the standard connector in
> the prewired cable, but I have to connect 4 or 5 of the 7 wires directly
> to the ADH connector.
>
> Question 1:
> *- what ADH pins I should use for FPOUT_R/L, RET_R/L, and AUD_GND*
>
> Question 2:
> *- what is the proper BIOS setting for*
> * > "High Definition Audio", which have options [Enabled] and [Disabled]*
> * > "Front Panel Type", which have options [AC97] and [HD Audio]*
>
> One of the issues is that the manual defines these setting to control
> the AAFP connector and there is no AAFP connector on this motherboard.
>
> There has been several questions about the pin assignments in the AAFP
> and ADH connecters and here is the information I found from Intel.
> Please let me know if this is correct for Asus boards.
>
> High Definition Audio Link Header (AHD, Azalia Digital Header)
>
> Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
> 1 BCLK 2 Ground
> 3 RST 4 3.3 V/1.5 V I/O
> 5 SYNC 6 Ground
> 7 SDO 8 3.3V_CORE
> 9 SDI 10 +12 V
> 11 No connect 12 Key (no pin)
> 13 No connect 14 3.3 V/1.5V STBY
> 15 No connect 16 Ground
>
> Front Panel Audio Header (AAFP, Analog Audio Front Panel)
>
> Pin Signal Name Pin Signal Name
> 1 [Port 1] Left channel 2 Ground
> 3 [Port 1] Right channel 4 PRESENCE# (Dongle present)
> 5 [Port 2] Right channel 6 [Port 1] SENSE_RETURN
> 7 SENSE_SEND (Jack detection) 8 Key (no pin)
> 9 [Port 2] Left channel 10 [Port 2] SENSE_RETURN
>
> In some other Intel documents the pin 4 in HD Audio Link Header is only
> for 3.3 V and pins 9, 11, 13, 15 are used for SDI0, SDI1, Aud RSVD, and
> Aud RSVD.
>
> Cheers, Ollie

Are you sure the green connector on the SupremeFX II isn't your AAFP
header ? It kinda looks like it. Check for a legend printed on the
SupremeFX II in white letters, as to what kind of header that is.
In the third picture, you can just see "AAF..." in the picture.

http://pics.computerbase.de/1/8/1/8/7/16.jpg
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/asus-commando/audio.jpg
http://www.motherboards.org/images/reviews/motherboards/1706_p5_9.jpg

Both original SupremeFX and SupremeFX II have the green header -
but the SupremeFX and SupremeFX II are apparently not interchangeable
between their respective motherboards.

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?no=F5DB3B3D-7160-EFB4-014A-274DA817FB97&SLanguage=en-us

Paul
From: "Ollie" olivili at hot mail dot c o on
"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:fivmae$m39$1(a)aioe.org...
> Ollie wrote:
>> This card has only the ADH header on the motherboard and no AAFP header.
>> In the some of the related boards, such as P5E-VM and P5E-WS, the
>> situation is reverse - there is AAFP header but no ADH header. Then
>> there are boards, such as P5B, which have both headers.
>> The problem that I am trying to solve is to enable the headset connector
>> in Antec SonataII. I think that I cannot use the standard connector in
>> the prewired cable, but I have to connect 4 or 5 of the 7 wires directly
>> to the ADH connector.
>
> Are you sure the green connector on the SupremeFX II isn't your AAFP
> header ? It kinda looks like it. Check for a legend printed on the
> SupremeFX II in white letters, as to what kind of header that is.
> In the third picture, you can just see "AAF..." in the picture.
>
> http://pics.computerbase.de/1/8/1/8/7/16.jpg
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/asus-commando/audio.jpg
> http://www.motherboards.org/images/reviews/motherboards/1706_p5_9.jpg
>
> Both original SupremeFX and SupremeFX II have the green header -
> but the SupremeFX and SupremeFX II are apparently not interchangeable
> between their respective motherboards.
>
> http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?no=F5DB3B3D-7160-EFB4-014A-274DA817FB97&SLanguage=en-us
>
> Paul

Paul,

Thanks - you gave an answer for my follow-up questions, even before I had
posted them.

In this picture, it looks like there is another header in the SuprmeFX II in
addition of the AAFP1 green header.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=13-131-219-14.jpg&Image=13-131-219-12.jpg%2c13-131-219-04.jpg%2c13-131-219-05.jpg%2c13-131-219-06.jpg%2c13-131-219-14.jpg%2c13-131-219-15.jpg%2c13-131-219-16.jpg%2c13-131-219-11.jpg%2c13-131-219-07.jpg%2c13-131-219-03.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&Depa=1&Description=ASUS+P5E+ATX+Intel+Motherboard

Do you know what it could be? In the
http://pics.computerbase.de/1/8/1/8/7/16.jpg picture it looks like a extra
power supply connector.

Best Regards, Ollie

From: Paul on
Ollie wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks - you gave an answer for my follow-up questions, even before I had
> posted them.
>
> In this picture, it looks like there is another header in the SuprmeFX II in
> addition of the AAFP1 green header.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=13-131-219-14.jpg&Image=13-131-219-12.jpg
>
> Do you know what it could be? In the
> http://pics.computerbase.de/1/8/1/8/7/16.jpg picture it looks like a extra
> power supply connector.
>
> Best Regards, Ollie

Again, check for any legend text printed in white letters.
The connector looks to be an "Aux" or "CD" four pin connector.
I have examples like that, on the surface of my P4C800-E Deluxe
board. That would be my guess, but check to see of you see
some letters printed next to it.

A "CD" one would not be needed, because you can set the optical
drive to use "DAE" or digital audio extraction. So it isn't necessary
to string an "antenna" between the CDROM and the sound card. Sometimes,
you end up getting noise pickup using the old analog cable method.

The four pin "Aux" one might be something you'd use, between a TV capture card
and the sound solution. On my TV card, there is a connector on the
faceplate instead, and that is how the TV sound gets to my sound card.
(If the thing had been designed properly, it would also have been
possible for the sound to be handled completely by the TV card, but
I guess one of their engineers was asleep.)

Paul
From: RobV on
Ollie wrote:
> This card has only the ADH header on the motherboard and no AAFP
> header. In the some of the related boards, such as P5E-VM and
> P5E-WS, the situation is reverse - there is AAFP header but no ADH
> header. Then there are boards, such as P5B, which have both headers.

[snip]

Hi, Ollie. This is a text only news group. HTML is not good here,
since many news readers only see code and not the information when HTML
is sent. What you need to do, is go to Tools> Options, then click on
the Send tab. At the bottom, where it says "News Sending Format",
select Plain Text.

Thank you, and good luck with fixing the problem.