From: John on
Just purchase this cheap router to network two home computers.

Before I start I would like to make it clear that I've never installed a
router before, I'm a complete novice at this.

My IP address is static (doesn't change) but for me to gain access to the
web utility (192.168.1.1)I need to change from "Use the following IP
address" to "Obtain an IP address automatically.

Once into the web utility it asks a number of (simple) questions, the first
page asks for Host name and Domain name. I assume that my host name is the
computer name? Again, I assume that the Domain name is the name of my IP?

The next page asks to specify the WAN connection (in my case cable).

The following page asks whether to enable the "Static DNS Server" and input
information for the Domain name server (DNS) address and the Secondary
(DNS) address. In this instance do I tick enable or not?

That's the end of the web utility and seems simple (at least to me) but for
the life of me I can't get the router to work.

Any help would be most appreciated.
From: John on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:04:06 +1300, John wrote:

> Just purchase this cheap router to network two home computers.
>
> Before I start I would like to make it clear that I've never installed a
> router before, I'm a complete novice at this.
>
> My IP address is static (doesn't change) but for me to gain access to the
> web utility (192.168.1.1)I need to change from "Use the following IP
> address" to "Obtain an IP address automatically.
>
> Once into the web utility it asks a number of (simple) questions, the first
> page asks for Host name and Domain name. I assume that my host name is the
> computer name? Again, I assume that the Domain name is the name of my IP?
>
> The next page asks to specify the WAN connection (in my case cable).
>
> The following page asks whether to enable the "Static DNS Server" and input
> information for the Domain name server (DNS) address and the Secondary
> (DNS) address. In this instance do I tick enable or not?
>
> That's the end of the web utility and seems simple (at least to me) but for
> the life of me I can't get the router to work.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.

Please ignore, problem fixed.
From: James D. Andrews on

"John" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:04:06 +1300, John wrote:
>
>> Just purchase this cheap router to network two home computers.
>>
>> Before I start I would like to make it clear that I've never installed a
>> router before, I'm a complete novice at this.
>>
>> My IP address is static (doesn't change) but for me to gain access to the
>> web utility (192.168.1.1)I need to change from "Use the following IP
>> address" to "Obtain an IP address automatically.
>>
>> Once into the web utility it asks a number of (simple) questions, the
>> first
>> page asks for Host name and Domain name. I assume that my host name is
>> the
>> computer name? Again, I assume that the Domain name is the name of my IP?
>>
>> The next page asks to specify the WAN connection (in my case cable).
>>
>> The following page asks whether to enable the "Static DNS Server" and
>> input
>> information for the Domain name server (DNS) address and the Secondary
>> (DNS) address. In this instance do I tick enable or not?
>>
>> That's the end of the web utility and seems simple (at least to me) but
>> for
>> the life of me I can't get the router to work.
>>
>> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Please ignore, problem fixed.

So what was the problem/solution?

From: Jeff Strickland on

"John" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:04:06 +1300, John wrote:
>
>> Just purchase this cheap router to network two home computers.
>>
>> Before I start I would like to make it clear that I've never installed a
>> router before, I'm a complete novice at this.
>>
>> My IP address is static (doesn't change) but for me to gain access to the
>> web utility (192.168.1.1)I need to change from "Use the following IP
>> address" to "Obtain an IP address automatically.
>>
>> Once into the web utility it asks a number of (simple) questions, the
>> first
>> page asks for Host name and Domain name. I assume that my host name is
>> the
>> computer name? Again, I assume that the Domain name is the name of my IP?
>>
>> The next page asks to specify the WAN connection (in my case cable).
>>
>> The following page asks whether to enable the "Static DNS Server" and
>> input
>> information for the Domain name server (DNS) address and the Secondary
>> (DNS) address. In this instance do I tick enable or not?
>>
>> That's the end of the web utility and seems simple (at least to me) but
>> for
>> the life of me I can't get the router to work.
>>
>> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Please ignore, problem fixed.

If your router is wireless, then you should set it to operate securely with
encryption. WEP is probably good enough.

You can name your router so that you recognize it when somebody comes over
with a laptop and wants to use the 'net. An example might be LONDON or
PARIS. You tell your visitor to connect to your router by its name. This is
easier to tell them than, connect to 5Y3Z7, or whatever the default name
might be. Do not name your router Jones, if your name is Jones.

Set your WEP code to a 10-digit string containing the characters 0 ~ 9, plus
A ~ F. A phone number with Area Code is easy for you to remember, but to
keep the hackers at bay, it would be best to not use your own phone number.
If you have a different string that fits the requirements, you can use it.
The point is, you need to be able to remember it. Uncle Bob, that lives in
another state, has a phone number that the hackers wouldn't guess easily.

When your visitors come to town with a wireless laptop and want to get on
the 'net, you tell them that your router is LONDON, and the WEP key is
8185551212 -- Uncle Bob's phone number. It's easy for you to remember, and
you can let anybody you want use your internet connection while denying
access to those that don't know which of the wireless routers they can see
is yours, and probably don't know Uncle Bob's phone number.

Your visitors can gain 'net access, but can't get into your computers.

From: John on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:09:54 -0500, James D. Andrews wrote:

> "John" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:04:06 +1300, John wrote:
>>
>>> Just purchase this cheap router to network two home computers.
>>>
>>> Before I start I would like to make it clear that I've never installed a
>>> router before, I'm a complete novice at this.
>>>
>>> My IP address is static (doesn't change) but for me to gain access to the
>>> web utility (192.168.1.1)I need to change from "Use the following IP
>>> address" to "Obtain an IP address automatically.
>>>
>>> Once into the web utility it asks a number of (simple) questions, the
>>> first
>>> page asks for Host name and Domain name. I assume that my host name is
>>> the
>>> computer name? Again, I assume that the Domain name is the name of my IP?
>>>
>>> The next page asks to specify the WAN connection (in my case cable).
>>>
>>> The following page asks whether to enable the "Static DNS Server" and
>>> input
>>> information for the Domain name server (DNS) address and the Secondary
>>> (DNS) address. In this instance do I tick enable or not?
>>>
>>> That's the end of the web utility and seems simple (at least to me) but
>>> for
>>> the life of me I can't get the router to work.
>>>
>>> Any help would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Please ignore, problem fixed.
>

> So what was the problem/solution?

Instead of browsing the manual I sat down and read it correctly:-)
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: blog groups
Next: Dell India refunds in Indian Rupees ?