From: Skynet on

"Skynet" <skynet(a)nospam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Yes, i'm getting the same annoyance.
> I have one account only on my xp machine. I don't connect to a domain and
> don't have any shared folder.
>
> Welcome screen worked fine until yesterday, but at every boot i now have
> password field automatically opened nomore. Don't know what happened.
>
> I compared "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" with the one of a xp on another machine, but
> they are identical, except for the presence in my machine of the REG_DWORD
> "ChangePasswordUseKerberos" setted to 1. I deleted it but nothing changed.
>
> Hope in a microsoft MVP clarification.

I've just solved this annoyance in this way.
You can follow the steps below only if you have .net framework installed but
don't work with ASP.NET.

1. control panel/Admin tools/computer management
2. system tools/local users and groups/Users
3. double click on ASPNET (ASP.NET Machine Account)
4. click on "account is disabled

At every boot i now have password field already opened and cursor
positioned.

I always have had .net framework installed on my pc since 1.0 version and
never had problem with asp.net account. So don't know why if i disable that
account welcome screen starts working fine again, but it seems to be a
solution. I repeat, you can disable it only if you don't work on asp.net
projects.

Bye

From: mikehc on

Thanks, Skynet. That worked!

Don't use this machine for ASP.NET development so that's fine. The other
machine doesn't have the .NET framework on it at all, so no ASPNET user
account, so it worked fine anyway.

Thanks again.