From: Texas Slacker on

Using Quicken deluxe '09 on Vista.

Quicken insists on crediting purchases and dividends to an account
that has been cleaned out, the assets transferred to another
account.
Specifically Account "A" has been zeroed out, the stock has been
transferred to Account "B".
Stock purchased for Account "C" will be credited to Account "A".
Dividends accrued to Account "C" will be credited to Account "A".
Account "A" has never contained any of the stock that is being
erroneously credited to it. This really creates a problem with the
placeholders. When the erroneously credited purchase or dividend is
credited to Account "A" I delete it and manually credit it to Account
"C" where it belongs. Quicken refuses to believe the stock is not in
Account "A" and nags at me to input the number of shares.
I can't just delete Account "A", I have transactions in that account.
I have tried deleting the nagging notices about placeholders but
Quicken is very persistent. I have done the verification etc without
relief.
Suggestions are welcome.
From: John Pollard on
Texas Slacker wrote:
> Using Quicken deluxe '09 on Vista.
>
> Quicken insists on crediting purchases and dividends to an account
> that has been cleaned out, the assets transferred to another
> account.
> Specifically Account "A" has been zeroed out, the stock has been
> transferred to Account "B".
> Stock purchased for Account "C" will be credited to Account "A".
> Dividends accrued to Account "C" will be credited to Account "A".
> Account "A" has never contained any of the stock that is being
> erroneously credited to it. This really creates a problem with the
> placeholders. When the erroneously credited purchase or dividend is
> credited to Account "A" I delete it and manually credit it to Account
> "C" where it belongs. Quicken refuses to believe the stock is not in
> Account "A" and nags at me to input the number of shares.
> I can't just delete Account "A", I have transactions in that account.
> I have tried deleting the nagging notices about placeholders but
> Quicken is very persistent. I have done the verification etc without
> relief.

Are "Account A", "Account B", and "Account C" all separate Quicken
accounts?

And when you say Quicken is "crediting purchases and dividends" to the
wrong account, are you talking about downloading transactions to the wrong
account?

If so, when you transferred the securities out of Account A, did you
deactivate the account for downloading? If not, that would be a good
first step to take. You can do that by clicking the "Change Online
Services" button on the Overview tab of the account ....

Then you'll just have to deal with setting Account C up correctly for
downloading.

Are the Quicken accounts held at the same financial institution?

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Texas Slacker on
On Mar 27, 4:03 pm, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Texas Slacker wrote:
> > Using Quicken deluxe '09 on Vista.
>
> > Quicken insists on crediting purchases and dividends to an account
> > that has been cleaned out, the assets transferred to another
> > account.
> > Specifically Account "A" has been zeroed out, the stock has been
> > transferred to Account "B".
> > Stock purchased for Account "C" will be credited to Account "A".
> > Dividends accrued to Account "C" will be credited to Account "A".
> > Account "A" has never contained any of the stock that is being
> > erroneously credited to it.  This really creates a problem with the
> > placeholders.  When the erroneously credited purchase or dividend is
> > credited to Account "A" I delete it and manually credit it to Account
> > "C" where it belongs.  Quicken refuses to believe the stock is not in
> > Account "A" and nags at me to input the number of shares.
> > I can't just delete Account "A", I have transactions in that account.
> > I have tried deleting the nagging notices about placeholders but
> > Quicken is very persistent. I have done the verification etc without
> > relief.
>
> Are "Account A", "Account B", and "Account C" all separate Quicken
> accounts?
>
> And when you say Quicken is "crediting purchases and dividends" to the
> wrong account, are you talking about downloading transactions to the wrong
> account?
>
> If so, when you transferred the securities out of Account A, did you
> deactivate the account for downloading?  If not, that would be a good
> first step to take.  You can do that by clicking the "Change Online
> Services" button on the Overview tab of the account ....
>
> Then you'll just have to deal with setting Account C up correctly for
> downloading.
>
> Are the Quicken accounts held at the same financial institution?
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

John: Since seeking help and comment I have deactivated the account
for downloading so we shall see what happens next. Yes, all accounts
are held in Fidelity. The "history" of account C indicates that
Fidelity is crediting dividends, etc, properly.
I suppose I have somehow clicked on a box that causes this mis-
crediting but I'll be dammed if I can find it. Thanks Leo