From: Laust on
I have just installed Authorware 5.2 on a Lab here at the school. They are Dell
computer and there are 4 different models. All of them run Windows XP Pro with
Service Pack 2. I installed Authorware 5.2 along with some other macromedia
software. (this is our graphics editing lab). When Authorware is run, an error
pops up "The new file cannot be created because the following error has
occured: computer memory is full." Two of the machines have 2Gb of ram and a
2-4Gb paging file on a seperate partition so i'm doubting that the computer
memory is really full. The previous admin stated that Authorware worked fine
without SP2, but the school has made it policy to have sp2 on. I was wondering
if anyone knows of any issues with Authorware 5.2 and SP2. If there is, are
there any work arounds or do we need to move on to a newer version of
Authorware. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

From: Dave C on
This question gets asked frequently. Authorware 5.2 was not designed to work
on mahines that have 2 Gb RAM (physical + virtual). Your only real option is
to remove some RAM.

From: Erik *TMM* on
As Steve and Dave pointed out, it's a limitation of a fairly old version
of Authorware. I would definitely recommend upgrading the software as
the best fix.

However, one other option is to open a lot of programs on the machine.
If I ever need to use 5.2 on my machine (with 1gb ram and 1gb+ swap
file) and I get the 'memory full' error, I just open up Photoshop and a
couple documents, Mozilla, Thunderbird, etc until enough free memory is
used that A'ware opens without complaint.
Erik

--
Erik Lord
http://www.capemedia.net
From: Dave C on
I've never had the luxory of having the 'too much RAM' problem. Does that
really work? Sounds like we need some one to create a little application
that does nothing other than use memory. You could tell it how much to use.
That way you wouldn't have to use several applications. Would something like
that be possible?

From: Laust on
I know I haven't been back to post in a couple weeks since the last reply, but
after a lot of research, i have one last question about this problem. The
previous admin had Authorware 5.2 working and these same machines last semester
and the only thing that is different between now and then is that SP2 is
installed. I discussed this with him and he said he didn't do anything special,
he just installed it and it worked. None of the systems specs have been
changed. So, i'm having a hard time accepting that Authorware doesn't support
that much ram due to the fact that, it did work 1GB of ram in the first place.
Hence my original question of if the program had a problem with SP2. Currently,
I am going to suggest that we get an upgrade anyways, but this is the last area
that I'm sure they will ask me about before upgrading. "It worked last
semester, why won't it work now?" If anyone can give me a little insight to
this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks