From: Khrystie on
I am publishing a web-based (for Internet Explorer) version of an Authorware
7.01 course. Upon loading, I get the error message, "Authorware Runtime has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
Upon clicking Close, the file loads normally--thankfully, but we'd like to
avoid the error message, obviously.

I am using the following EMBED statement to call up the file: <EMBED
src="http://my.url.com/intro.aam" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF width=800
height=497></EMBED>. I published the file from Authorware "For Web Player" and
am bypassing the Security Dialog box. It's a small file so upon publishing, I
get an intro.aam, eight .aas files and the XTRAS folder. Not sure if that is
helpful or not, but wondering what else I can try to resolve this. Your help is
appreciated.

From: Mark Tomlinson on
there was a few bugs in 7.01 and a free patch to 7.02 is available from
the macromedia website. i do not know if this is a bug that was fixed
by the 7.02 patch, but it should be the first step anyway.

The error message you are seeing is normally when he runtime has a
problem and crashes. for web based stuff the runtime is the web player,
so I would try removing hat and reinstalling it again in case it is corrupt.

mark

From: Paul Swanson on
Your web page is loading the wrong web player for IE. The EMBED statement
is for the Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox plugin. You need to use the OBJECT code
for the IE ActiveX control.

--
_______________________

Paul Swanson
Portland, Oregon, USA
_______________________

From: Khrystie on
Mark, thank you for the suggestions. I have updated my system, and while it didn't get rid of the error message, was certainly an important step I needed to take. Thanks again.
From: Khrystie on
Tom, thanks for the reply. I haven't yet tried this but the support information
on Macromedia's web site had just the opposite: "Internet Explorer uses the
Authorware Web Player Netscape plug-in to play back a Authorware Web Player
file. Use the <EMBED> tag, as you would with Netscape, for the Authorware map
file to use the plug-in to display. You cannot use the <OBJECT> tag to include
a Web packaged file in an HTML document for Internet Explorer. There is
currently not an ActiveX control for Authorware Web Player, thus the plug-in
and embed tag must be used. Keep in mind that Internet Explorer does not allow
for as many variances in the syntax of the <EMBED> tag as Netscape does, and
your HTML file should be thoroughly tested on ALL target browsers for
compatibility."

I think we'll have to try some other workarounds. Thank you for your time!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Authorware 5.2 and SP2
Next: No Authorware 8