From: Carlnlola on
I have a database of contacts (names, addresses, phone numbers, emails). I
have created a table with this info already filled out (imported from Excel).
All I want to do is create a form with a single drop-down list where, when
the last name is selected, all the other fields automatically populate with
that person's correct information.

I have tried DLookup but that seems too cumbersome and doesn't work unless I
go to design view and back to form view. Is there not a simple function in
Access that lets me do what I need to without having to write code. I am NOT
a code writer, don't understand it, but willing to try if that's the only
option.

From: golfinray on
It is easier to use a form filter. Install a combobox. Allow the combo wizard
to do this for you. Set it up for Last Name. Then right click on the combo,
go to the afterupdate event, click the button to the right, and start the
code builder. Then type:
Me.Filter = "[lname] = """ & Me.combo# & """"
Me.Filteron = True

The combo# will be displayed, like combo10 or combo22.
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

From: Carlnlola on
You are AWESOME! Thanks...works like a champ!

-Carl

From: Carlnlola via AccessMonster.com on
golfinray:

Ok...your solution works great but there's a small issue. My database
contains over 500 names and inevitably, there's duplicate last names. How do
I get the thing to show each person's info (right now, it filters out stuff
and the same info is displayed for 3 different Jones')

Thanks for taking the time to help out

-Carl

From: golfinray on
One of the problems with using name is that there may be 4 or 5 Jones'. Can
you assign a unique ID number to each person, then search on the ID number.
You could even set up an ID like
001 Jones L
002 Jones T
003 Jones B
etc. Even better would be just to have cascading combo boxes (2) and have
a reference to the individuals, like Jones. Then the second combo you pick
T., B., or L. Look at the search feature Allen Browne has at
www.allenbrowne.com or Martin Greene at www.fontstuff.com
Good Luck!
--
Milton Purdy