From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Footpm" <Footpm(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Forgot to mention a couple more details describing the problems during
> shutdown.. imbedded below.
>
> "Footpm" wrote:
>
>> Tried to autoupdate on the 12th but it failed somewhere in the installation
>> portion. Explorer crashed, and I got a pop up window asking to send an error
>> report, stating: "Automatic Updates has encountered a problem and needs to
>> close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. if you were in the middle of
>> something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell
>> Microsoft about this problem... ...to see what this error report contains,
>> click here." Then the three buttons, Debug, Send Error Report and Don't
>> Send. The problem is at that point it's caught in a loop and the pop up
>> keeps coming back. Debug does nothing. The pop up comes back. Send Error
>> Report sends the report, and when you hit close on the report send pop up, it
>> closes, and the pop up comes back. Don't Send closed the error popup window,
>> and then it pops back up again.
>>
>> When I try to shutdown the machine, I get a clue to where the error is.. In
>> the middle of the shutdown, I get an error popup stating an error with
>> wuauclt.exe and the statement: 'Instruction at 0x606cf5a1 referenced memory
>> at 0x18830604. The memory could not be "read".'

Depends.exe indicates that that crash is somewhere in esent.dll
The description of that module is: Server Database Storage Engine
This suggests that that the simplest and most appropriate thing to do
would be to guess that some files in the SoftwareDistribution folder
were corrupt and therefore clear them out using any of the commonly
suggested methods.

> On this pop up, hitting OK supposedly terminates the program, hitting CANCEL
> supposedly sends you to debug (?can't remember for sure.. supposed to send
> you somewhere) but debug does nothing.

That probably means that you don't have a debug abend handler
installed. The simplest one to have would be drwtsn32.
To activate it, Run...

drwtsn32 -i

> OK closes the window, but then it
> reappears a second or three later with the exact same message.

That probably means that the wuauserv service needs to be stopped
to prevent wuauclt.exe from being restarted.

> Have to hit
> OK several times (6 or 7) before the shutdown procedure will finally skip
> past it and actually shut down the machine.
>
> Upon restarting the machine, the "Automatic Updates has encountered a
> problem and needs to close.." pop ups start all over again.
>
>> I've tried closing wuauclt.exe thru Task Manager, but it simply restarts
>> itself. Even searched the harddrive, found the wuauclt.exe program, renamed
>> it temp_wuauclt.exe, but it respawned itself as another copy of wuauclt.exe

That wouldn't help if you didn't also rename the copy in DllCache. ;)

> (with no effect on the popups)
>

>> Have a month old HP Pavilion running XP preloaded with SP2, and it was
>> running perfectly fine until I tried the update. Any suggestions?

Sorry for being so late to this one. My suggestion would be
as I mentioned to clear the SoftwareDistribution subdirectories.
See the troubleshooter for directions. In order to break out of
the loop I think it would have been useful to have stopped the
Automatic Updates service temporarily.

FWIW

Robert Aldwinckle
---