From: Wyman on
I've just installed the lates updates including Win Installer 3.1 and my
computer (in the other room) is dead. It repeatedly reboots from a blue
screeen.
On an F8 boot it says the "session manager initiazation process terminated".
I'm suspecting this is widespread and suggest you DO NOT INSTALL THE LATEST
UPDATE. I can only post this because I'm using my second computer. Everyone
with only one PC won't be able to raise this issue.

MSFT PLEASE HELP ASAP!!
From: Shenan Stanley on
Wyman wrote:
> I've just installed the lates updates including Win Installer 3.1 and
> my computer (in the other room) is dead. It repeatedly reboots from a
> blue screeen.
> On an F8 boot it says the "session manager initiazation process
> terminated". I'm suspecting this is widespread and suggest you DO NOT
> INSTALL THE LATEST UPDATE. I can only post this because I'm using my
> second computer. Everyone with only one PC won't be able to raise
> this issue.

I don't suspect it is wide-spread and such "scare-tactics" are unnecessary.
4500 installs of the patches for myself to date - no problems.

Are you seeing this?

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

or This?

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0x000026c. (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

(Something close to one of those?)

This seems to be an occurrence when partition management software is used
(Partition Magic, Acronis, etc..) - The easiest solution for you is a repair
installation. (I realize you did not MENTION doing anything to your
partitions - I am just stating what the most common reasoning for this is..)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/dougknox/doug92.asp
or
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
<- Shenan ->

From: Shenan Stanley on
Wyman wrote:
> I've just installed the lates updates including Win Installer 3.1 and
> my computer (in the other room) is dead. It repeatedly reboots from a
> blue screeen.
> On an F8 boot it says the "session manager initiazation process
> terminated". I'm suspecting this is widespread and suggest you DO NOT
> INSTALL THE LATEST UPDATE. I can only post this because I'm using my
> second computer. Everyone with only one PC won't be able to raise
> this issue.

I don't suspect it is wide-spread and such "scare-tactics" are unnecessary.
MANY installs of the patches for myself to date - no problems.

From: Patti MacLeod on
Hi Wyman,

If you're receiving a STOP 0xC000021A error, as Shenan mentioned, have a
look at these MSKB articles:

How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/
(Please take note of the Warning in the SUMMARY section!)

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

From: Wyman on
To be clear Shenan, I wrote this to get help but to also warn others of this
critical bug. This bug is raised by many other on this newsgroup.
I error message is the latter below. I'm using XP Media Center 2005 on an
Athlon 64 3500. No partion software at all. I've tried to reboot wit hthe XP
CD but it does not recognize my C drive. I can't even load XP.
How else do you figure I should run a repair configuration? Thoughts?

Wyman

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Wyman wrote:
> > I've just installed the lates updates including Win Installer 3.1 and
> > my computer (in the other room) is dead. It repeatedly reboots from a
> > blue screeen.
> > On an F8 boot it says the "session manager initiazation process
> > terminated". I'm suspecting this is widespread and suggest you DO NOT
> > INSTALL THE LATEST UPDATE. I can only post this because I'm using my
> > second computer. Everyone with only one PC won't be able to raise
> > this issue.
>
> I don't suspect it is wide-spread and such "scare-tactics" are unnecessary.
> MANY installs of the patches for myself to date - no problems.
>
> Are you seeing this?
>
> 0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
>
> or this?
>
> STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
> The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
> with a status of 0x000026c. (0x00000000 0x00000000)
> The system has been shut down.
>
> (Something close to one of those?)
>
> This seems to be an occurrence when partition management software is used
> (Partition Magic, Acronis, etc..) - The easiest solution for you is a repair
> installation. (I realize you did not MENTION doing anything to your
> partitions - I am just stating what the most common reasoning for this is..)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
> or
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/dougknox/doug92.asp
> or