From: Footpm on
Tried to autoupdate on the 12th but it failed somewhere in the installation
portion. Explorer crashed, and I got a pop up window asking to send an error
report, stating: "Automatic Updates has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. if you were in the middle of
something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell
Microsoft about this problem... ...to see what this error report contains,
click here." Then the three buttons, Debug, Send Error Report and Don't
Send. The problem is at that point it's caught in a loop and the pop up
keeps coming back. Debug does nothing. The pop up comes back. Send Error
Report sends the report, and when you hit close on the report send pop up, it
closes, and the pop up comes back. Don't Send closed the error popup window,
and then it pops back up again.

When I try to shutdown the machine, I get a clue to where the error is.. In
the middle of the shutdown, I get an error popup stating an error with
wuauclt.exe and the statement: 'Instruction at 0x606cf5a1 referenced memory
at 0x18830604. The memory could not be "read".'

I've tried closing wuauclt.exe thru Task Manager, but it simply restarts
itself. Even searched the harddrive, found the wuauclt.exe program, renamed
it temp_wuauclt.exe, but it respawned itself as another copy of wuauclt.exe.

Have a month old HP Pavilion running XP preloaded with SP2, and it was
running perfectly fine until I tried the update. Any suggestions?

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
reinstalled.

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/s­scv6/default.asp?langid=ie&ven­id=sym

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

From: Ben B. [US] on
Sounds like you might have some corrupted RAM. You could try scanning your
memory with GoldMem.

--
Ben B. [US]

From: Footpm on
Forgot to mention a couple more details describing the problems during
shutdown.. imbedded below.

"Footpm" wrote:

> Tried to autoupdate on the 12th but it failed somewhere in the installation
> portion. Explorer crashed, and I got a pop up window asking to send an error
> report, stating: "Automatic Updates has encountered a problem and needs to
> close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. if you were in the middle of
> something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell
> Microsoft about this problem... ...to see what this error report contains,
> click here." Then the three buttons, Debug, Send Error Report and Don't
> Send. The problem is at that point it's caught in a loop and the pop up
> keeps coming back. Debug does nothing. The pop up comes back. Send Error
> Report sends the report, and when you hit close on the report send pop up, it
> closes, and the pop up comes back. Don't Send closed the error popup window,
> and then it pops back up again.
>
> When I try to shutdown the machine, I get a clue to where the error is.. In
> the middle of the shutdown, I get an error popup stating an error with
> wuauclt.exe and the statement: 'Instruction at 0x606cf5a1 referenced memory
> at 0x18830604. The memory could not be "read".'

On this pop up, hitting OK supposedly terminates the program, hitting CANCEL
supposedly sends you to debug (?can't remember for sure.. supposed to send
you somewhere) but debug does nothing. OK closes the window, but then it
reappears a second or three later with the exact same message. Have to hit
OK several times (6 or 7) before the shutdown procedure will finally skip
past it and actually shut down the machine.

Upon restarting the machine, the "Automatic Updates has encountered a
problem and needs to close.." pop ups start all over again.

> I've tried closing wuauclt.exe thru Task Manager, but it simply restarts
> itself. Even searched the harddrive, found the wuauclt.exe program, renamed
> it temp_wuauclt.exe, but it respawned itself as another copy of wuauclt.exe

(with no effect on the popups)

From: Footpm on
Wow... that's not encouraging.. But thanks, I'll give it a go..