From: Logo on

> Why in *THE NEXT TEXTBOX* rather than in *THE VERY SAME TEXTBOX*?
>
> You clearly did not try my suggestion, because *it will work*.

I absolutely tried your suggestion! It worked great!
So what do I do with the day field now? I didn't design this database, but I
am looking for ways to make it better.

I guess just delete the day field?

> Again: open the form in design view. Select the textbox. Find the Format
> property. In the Format property type
>
> "dddd dd/mm/yyyy"
>
> If the user types 3/22 into the textbox on the form and tabs out of it, the
> textbox will change its appearance and will now show
>
> Monday 03/22/2010
>
> This does not need any code; it does not need the Format() VBA function; it
> does not need a second textbox; and it *does* enable them to instantly see if
> they have the correct date.
>
> Perhaps you could explain why you find this solution unacceptable.

Thank you for your answer, it is well appreciated and very acceptable. But
perhaps a suggestion of what I should do now with my day column might have
been a better response than repeating your last reply. I apologize for my
ignorance, I am still extremely new at this.

Logo

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:16:01 -0700, Logo <Logo(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I absolutely tried your suggestion! It worked great!
>So what do I do with the day field now? I didn't design this database, but I
>am looking for ways to make it better.
>
>I guess just delete the day field?

If there is a day field *in your table*, then yes, delete it; it's redundant.
If you have a Date/Time field in the table, that field contains the
information needed to display the name of the day.

If you had both fields in the table, then you could get anomalies such as
#3/22/2010# stored in the date field, and Thursday stored in the
day-of-the-week field: one or the other has to be wrong, and there's no easy
way to tell which!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Logo on
"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> If there is a day field *in your table*, then yes, delete it; it's redundant.
> If you have a Date/Time field in the table, that field contains the
> information needed to display the name of the day.
>
> If you had both fields in the table, then you could get anomalies such as
> #3/22/2010# stored in the date field, and Thursday stored in the
> day-of-the-week field: one or the other has to be wrong, and there's no easy
> way to tell which!
> --

And that has been my dilemma all along! Thank you so much for solving this!

Now, is there a way to display 3/22/2010 Tuesday instead of Tuesday 3/22/2010?

Thanks again!

Logo

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:09:01 -0700, Logo <Logo(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"John W. Vinson" wrote:
>

>> If there is a day field *in your table*, then yes, delete it; it's redundant.
>> If you have a Date/Time field in the table, that field contains the
>> information needed to display the name of the day.
>>
>> If you had both fields in the table, then you could get anomalies such as
>> #3/22/2010# stored in the date field, and Thursday stored in the
>> day-of-the-week field: one or the other has to be wrong, and there's no easy
>> way to tell which!
>> --
>
>And that has been my dilemma all along! Thank you so much for solving this!
>
>Now, is there a way to display 3/22/2010 Tuesday instead of Tuesday 3/22/2010?

Of course:

mm/dd/yyyy dddd

You'll need to dig some, but the Access Help topic for Format has all this.
You can construct a date format out of pieces - "d" is the day of the month
(e.g. 3), "dd" is the two-digit day (03), "ddd" the three-letter day
abbreviation (Tue), "dddd" the full day name (Tuesday), "yy" is the two-digit
year (10), "yyyy" the four digit year (2010), and so on and so on.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]