From: Logo on
Can this be done? I want to enter a date on a form and have the proper day
appear in the next box after it. Should I create a calendertable?
Suggestions? TIA
--
Logo
From: John W. Vinson on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:47:01 -0700, Logo <Logo(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Can this be done? I want to enter a date on a form and have the proper day
>appear in the next box after it. Should I create a calendertable?
>Suggestions? TIA

The day, as in Monday or Tuesday? You don't even need a separate textbox
(though you can have one if you wish); if you set the Format property of a
textbox on a form to "Long Date" or to a custom date format which displays the
day name (for instance "mm/dd/yyyy dddd") and type a date, in any format,
you'll see the day name. E.g. typing

3/22

into a textbox with the custom format will accept the date and display

03/22/2010 Monday

If you're trying to STORE the day name in a separate field from the date...
don't!!! It's redundant, unnecessary, and almost surely useless.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Logo on

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:47:01 -0700, Logo <Logo(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Can this be done? I want to enter a date on a form and have the proper day
> >appear in the next box after it. Should I create a calendertable?
> >Suggestions? TIA
>
> The day, as in Monday or Tuesday? You don't even need a separate textbox
> (though you can have one if you wish); if you set the Format property of a
> textbox on a form to "Long Date" or to a custom date format which displays the
> day name (for instance "mm/dd/yyyy dddd") and type a date, in any format,
> you'll see the day name. E.g. typing
>
> 3/22
>
> into a textbox with the custom format will accept the date and display
>
> 03/22/2010 Monday

Awesome! But I do need to have the day pop up in the next textbox. I tried
to use the Format property to extract it after setting the control source to
the textbox before it but was unable to get it to only show the day. How do
I do that?

> If you're trying to STORE the day name in a separate field from the date...
> don't!!! It's redundant, unnecessary, and almost surely useless.

I agree it's redundant, but hardly useless! It enables my users to see if
they are entering data with the correct date. If the day pops up wrong, they
know their date is off. As it is now, when they enter the date then enter
the day, they may have the day correct but the date wrong. This will enable
them to instantly see if they have the correct date.

Thank you very much! This has been a huge issue with us for a long time!

Logo

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 05:32:01 -0700, Logo <Logo(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Awesome! But I do need to have the day pop up in the next textbox. I tried
>to use the Format property to extract it after setting the control source to
>the textbox before it but was unable to get it to only show the day. How do
>I do that?

Why in *THE NEXT TEXTBOX* rather than in *THE VERY SAME TEXTBOX*?

You clearly did not try my suggestion, because *it will work*.

Again: open the form in design view. Select the textbox. Find the Format
property. In the Format property type

"dddd dd/mm/yyyy"

If the user types 3/22 into the textbox on the form and tabs out of it, the
textbox will change its appearance and will now show

Monday 03/22/2010

This does not need any code; it does not need the Format() VBA function; it
does not need a second textbox; and it *does* enable them to instantly see if
they have the correct date.

Perhaps you could explain why you find this solution unacceptable.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:54:01 -0600, John W. Vinson
<jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:

>Again: open the form in design view. Select the textbox. Find the Format
>property. In the Format property type
>
>"dddd dd/mm/yyyy"

sorry, should have been

dddd mm/dd/yyyy