From: Jefft on
I have the following two questions:

1) If auto update statistics is on, would there ever be a reason why I might
want to run update statistics manually or via maintenance plan?

2) What condition triggers auto update statistics to run? If there are many
insert/update/delete to a table, would SQL know to update the statistics
promptly?

Thanks,
Jeff
From: Kalen Delaney on
Hi Jeff

This article should answer your questions:

Statistics Used by the Query Optimizer in Microsoft SQL Server 2005

HTH
Kalen
Kalen Delaney
SQL Server MVP