From: anrcreations on
I am an estimator, and I am trying to make a new template that will allow me
to enter a "smart part number" in column "A" that will find the corresponding
material description from column "K" and re-insert the description in to
column "B"...An alternative for this is to be able to start typing the
beginning of the description in "B" and it auto fill based on the long format
in "K"....
From: Pete_UK on
Do you have a part number in a column to correspond with column K?
Column J perhaps?

If so, then you can use this in say B2:

=IF(A2="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,J:J,0)),"not
valid",INDEX(K:K,MATCH(A2,J:J,0))))

If your part numbers are not in column J, then change the references
to suit. I have used INDEX/MATCH rather than VLOOKUP in case your
column of part numbers is on the other side of column K - the formula
will still be valid. You will get a blank returned if A2 is blank, and
a "not valid" message if the part number in A2 is not recognised.

Copy the formula down as required.

Hope this helps.

Pete

From: Luke M on