Prev: use tlm
Next: Spatial
From: moongeegee on
I have some old SQL scripts that use PCTFREE and PCTUSED.
As now we have 10g, should I modify the scripts using ASSM instead of
PCTFREE
and PCTUSED?
Thanks in advance.
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 4, 7:13 am, moongeegee <moongee...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> I have some old SQL scripts that use PCTFREE and PCTUSED.
> As now we have 10g, should I modify the scripts using ASSM instead of
> PCTFREE
> and PCTUSED?
> Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the Oracle documentation?

The short answer is that you scripts don't have to change although
some of the parameters may start getting ignored.

Are you going to modify things manually instead of using some kind of
tool and/or script that re-creates only the relevant parameters
applicable to your changing environment?
From: Mark D Powell on
On Mar 4, 8:59 am, John Hurley <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 7:13 am, moongeegee <moongee...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > I have some old SQL scripts that use PCTFREE and PCTUSED.
> > As now we have 10g, should I modify the scripts using ASSM instead of
> > PCTFREE
> > and PCTUSED?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Have you looked at the Oracle documentation?
>
> The short answer is that you scripts don't have to change although
> some of the parameters may start getting ignored.
>
> Are you going to modify things manually instead of using some kind of
> tool and/or script that re-creates only the relevant parameters
> applicable to your changing environment?

The pctfree parameter is still valid when ASSM is in use. Determining
the proper value to use for this parameter is an important as ever for
limiting migrated rows and for making efficient use of block space.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 06:31:29 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:

> The pctfree parameter is still valid when ASSM is in use. Determining
> the proper value to use for this parameter is an important as ever for
> limiting migrated rows and for making efficient use of block space.

You are right. I discussed that with Tanel Poder few days ago:

http://www.orafaq.com/maillist/oracle-l/2003/11/11/0848.htm

Needless to say, Tanel was right. Amazingly, after all this time, the
link to Tanel's paper still works.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Pages: 1