From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> Regarding Symantec:
> You are right, it is not current already for few months...

Don't need to know anything else, girlfriend.

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: janet-m on
Many many thanks to all the wonderful people who replied to my call and
tried to help.
I thought that the MSRT is the magic wand to do the job for me but I can't
even get to see the MSRT.

This all is way over what I know... so I'll pack the machine and take it to
the shop and hopefully they know what to do with it.

Funny that except those notices from Symantec , once every 8.00 PM,
reminding me that I have those viruses quarantined, I have no other problem
that I can see in the machine, but what do I know.

Many thanks again
Janet

From: JS on
You're welcome

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"janet-m" <janet-m(a)rogers.com> wrote in message
> Many many thanks to all the wonderful people who replied to my call and
> tried to help.
> I thought that the MSRT is the magic wand to do the job for me but I can't
> even get to see the MSRT.
>
> This all is way over what I know... so I'll pack the machine and take it
> to the shop and hopefully they know what to do with it.
>
> Funny that except those notices from Symantec , once every 8.00 PM,
> reminding me that I have those viruses quarantined, I have no other
> problem that I can see in the machine, but what do I know.
>
> Many thanks again
> Janet
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Regarding Symantec:
>>> You are right, it is not current already for few months...
>>
>> Don't need to know anything else, girlfriend.
>>
>> Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
>> trustworthy at this point) then do a format & clean install of Windows.
>> Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix
>> this!
>>
>> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
>>
>> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer"
>> so take care of everything on the following page before otherwise
>> connecting the machine to the internet or a network and before using a
>> USB key that isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>>
>> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx
>>
>> Other helpful references include:
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
>> (after a clean install)
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
>> clean install)
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b
>>
>> Also see:
>>
>> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx
>>
>> Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx
>>
>> Avoid Rogue Security Software!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> janet-m wrote:
>>> Regarding Symantec:
>>> You are right, it is not current already for few months because I have
>>> joined the provider <Rogers.com> and I'll get from them Symantec AV for
>>> free
>>> in the next few days.
>>>
>>> But I am more interested in the MSRT.
>>>
>>> Is it not a tool that the customer, (me) can use ?
>>> Or it simply installs and vanish?
>>>
>>> And if it vanishes after installation, or can't be used by me, then
>>> what's
>>> the MSRT all about?

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2