From: janet-m on
Thank you Microsoft for installing the occasional updates to my Windows XP
but I'll be more thankful if they also explain how to use what they have
already installed.

They installed on my machine something called: *Windows Malicious Software
Removal Tool* which made me vary happy as my Symantec AV found few things it
has quarantined but it says it can't remove them and I was hoping the
Microsoft tool can remove them.

So I am looking for this Microsoft removal tool that was supposedly
installed on my machine but I don't know where they put it !

Does any one knows where is it?
And how to use it once I find it?

Many thanks
Janet

From: JS on

"janet-m" <janet-m(a)rogers.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Microsoft for installing the occasional updates to my Windows XP
> but I'll be more thankful if they also explain how to use what they have
> already installed.
>
> They installed on my machine something called: *Windows Malicious Software
> Removal Tool* which made me vary happy as my Symantec AV found few things
> it has quarantined but it says it can't remove them and I was hoping the
> Microsoft tool can remove them.
>
> So I am looking for this Microsoft removal tool that was supposedly
> installed on my machine but I don't know where they put it !
>
> Does any one knows where is it?
> And how to use it once I find it?
>
> Many thanks
> Janet

Microsoft� Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

Symantec public forums
http://community.norton.com/norton/

You should find an answer if you post your
quarantined question in the appropriate forum for your product.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
When installed via AU, the MSRT simply downloads, runs, and then goes away.
There's a MSRT log, if you'd like to examine it.

Is your Symantec subscription current?

From: janet-m on
Regarding Symantec:
You are right, it is not current already for few months because I have
joined the provider <Rogers.com> and I'll get from them Symantec AV for free
in the next few days.

But I am more interested in the MSRT.

Is it not a tool that the customer, (me) can use ?
Or it simply installs and vanish?

And if it vanishes after installation, or can't be used by me, then what's
the MSRT all about?

Thanks for your reply
Janet

From: Bob I on
Please read
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

janet-m wrote:

> Regarding Symantec:
> You are right, it is not current already for few months because I have
> joined the provider <Rogers.com> and I'll get from them Symantec AV for free
> in the next few days.
>
> But I am more interested in the MSRT.
>
> Is it not a tool that the customer, (me) can use ?
> Or it simply installs and vanish?
>
> And if it vanishes after installation, or can't be used by me, then what's
> the MSRT all about?
>
> Thanks for your reply
> Janet
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>When installed via AU, the MSRT simply downloads, runs, and then goes
>>away. There's a MSRT log, if you'd like to examine it.
>>
>>Is your Symantec subscription current?
>>

>>janet-m wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you Microsoft for installing the occasional updates to my Windows
>>>XP
>>>but I'll be more thankful if they also explain how to use what they have
>>>already installed.
>>>
>>>They installed on my machine something called: *Windows Malicious
>>>Software
>>>Removal Tool* which made me vary happy as my Symantec AV found few things
>>>it
>>>has quarantined but it says it can't remove them and I was hoping the
>>>Microsoft tool can remove them.
>>>
>>>So I am looking for this Microsoft removal tool that was supposedly
>>>installed on my machine but I don't know where they put it !
>>>
>>>Does any one knows where is it?
>>>And how to use it once I find it?
>>>
>>>Many thanks
>>>Janet