From: gufus on
Hello, FromTheRafters!

You wrote on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:02:37 -0400:

| |
| So, you are considering a dedicated device running protocol filtering as
| well as NAT and SPI?

Like I said, /not/ a easy answer, security is provided in layers of multiple
smaller forms of security. A software firewall is just 1 (one) layer of
security.

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: FromTheRafters on
"gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hello, FromTheRafters!
>
> You wrote on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:02:37 -0400:
>
> | |
> | So, you are considering a dedicated device running protocol
> filtering as
> | well as NAT and SPI?
>
> Like I said, /not/ a easy answer, security is provided in layers of
> multiple smaller forms of security. A software firewall is just 1
> (one) layer of security.

An application firewall (personal firewall) is not really secure, but it
is better than nothing. Highly recommended, especially if you may use
the "protected" computer at times without a *real* software or hardware
firewall.

One thing I am getting at is in order for you to "trust" your firewall
to do inbound/outbound protocol filtering etcetera, it *cannot* be
running on the system that it hopes to protect. If you want application
and/or process control (not really a firewall thing) you will want to
have the filtering done locally.

From: gufus on
Hello, FromTheRafters!

You wrote on Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:59:03 -0400:

FL>> Like I said, /not/ a easy answer, security is provided in layers of
FL>> multiple smaller forms of security. A software firewall is just 1
FL>> (one) layer of security.
|
| One thing I am getting at is in order for you to "trust" your firewall
| to do inbound/outbound protocol filtering etcetera, it *cannot* be
| running on the system that it hopes to protect. If you want application

So.. filter at the network boundary. No need to filter yet again on the
server.
Right?
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: FromTheRafters on

> Hello, FromTheRafters!
>
> You wrote on Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:59:03 -0400:
>
> FL>> Like I said, /not/ a easy answer, security is provided in layers
> of
> FL>> multiple smaller forms of security. A software firewall is just
> 1
> FL>> (one) layer of security.
> |
> | One thing I am getting at is in order for you to "trust" your
> firewall
> | to do inbound/outbound protocol filtering etcetera, it *cannot* be
> | running on the system that it hopes to protect. If you want
> application
>
> So.. filter at the network boundary. No need to filter yet again on
> the server.
> Right?

Right, a firewall belongs in between what you protect, and what you
protect it from. Some *features* of firewalls can be implemented
locally, but they will be somewhat less trustworthy.

From: gufus on
Hello, FromTheRafters!

You wrote on Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:40:24 -0400:

FL>> So.. filter at the network boundary. No need to filter yet again on
FL>> the server.
FL>> Right?
|
| Right, a firewall belongs in between what you protect, and what you
| protect it from. Some *features* of firewalls can be implemented
| locally, but they will be somewhat less trustworthy.

That's easy to understand.
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: "Antivirus Suite" malware
Next: Golden Rule of the WWW: