From: schmidtd on
On Jul 19, 2:08 pm, Jonno Downes <jonno...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 10:09 pm, Varga Viktor <viktor.va...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Some screenshot, or youtube video? :D
>
> good idea - I've added some screenshots to the page just now.

That's just fun. Thanks.

I was in kind of a testing mood... some things I found if you become
bored, and feel like defending against clueless users:
* Anything past 40 pages hangs when trying to load
* Emphasis within headings comes out literally
* Emphasis within the first heading ends up in filename and is
unloadable
* Plain text after a h1. ends up before next page's header; i.e.
h1. BASICpoint
Where does this go?
h2. Heading page 2
* Too many lines on a page scroll, but will eventually bleed into
next program block (i.e. after 95 items); what about incrementing
lines by 1?

Kudos:
* Word splits work really nicely
* Re-use of bullet characters in multiple levels of indents works
nicely

Ideas:
* Specify background/border colors, maybe per-page; would need to
pick contrasting emphasis colors
* Use graphical characters for bullets
* You might be able to use the final character position on each line
with some decisions about needing to scroll or not
From: Payton Byrd on
On Jul 18, 3:05 am, Jonno Downes <jonno...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 - take a document marked up with Textile
> 2 - paste that document into the web form athttp://basicpoint.jamtronix.com
> 3 - save the resulting prg file, and load it in your choice of
> emulator or a real c64
> 4 - ???
> 5 - profit!

This is a great start!

A couple of suggestions:

1) Generate a specific file readable by a standard viewer. This would
allow for more free-form rendering of the text on screen so that the
file could be scaled for display on different systems.

2) If leaving it as basic, give some options:
a) Computer type (64, 128, VIC, Plus 4)
b) Screen Width (can be derived from computer type except on 128)
c) Include a Soft-80 (64, Plus 4) or Soft 40 (VIC) option.
d) Allow user to select color schemes.

3) Allow uploading of PETSCII or ASCII files

4) Parse HTML into presentations

5) Allow BBCode or Wiki Markup input instead of defining your own
proprietary input scheme.

6) Allow sound effects to be embedded between pages.

7) Allow soundtracks to be embedded into presentations and/or pages

8) Allow KOALA images to be uploaded as pages

The options are limitless!

Again, great effort! I can see me using this at ECCC.
From: Jonno Downes on
Hey Payton & David,

Glad you had some fun with this and thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure if/when I'll get a chance to action any of it, put if you
want to play yourself, the guts of the code is a ruby lib you can grab
from http://basicpoint.jamtronix.com/static/basic_prg_maker.rb
to use it, you do something like this (in ruby):

require 'basic_prg_maker'
input="h1. this is a header" #set this var to the input (textile
markup) file
b=CommieSlideShow.new(input)
prg=b.to_bytes #now save this, send it, whatever : it's the BASIC
tokens prepended with $801 load address

Cheers

Jonno
From: Varga Viktor on
On Jul 20, 12:28 am, Jonno Downes <jonno...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Payton & David,
>
> Glad you had some fun with this and thanks for the feedback.
>
> I'm not sure if/when I'll get a chance to action any of it, put if you
> want to play yourself, the guts of the code is a ruby lib you can grab
> fromhttp://basicpoint.jamtronix.com/static/basic_prg_maker.rb
> to use it, you do something like this (in ruby):
>
> require 'basic_prg_maker'
> input="h1. this is a header" #set this var to the input (textile
> markup) file
> b=CommieSlideShow.new(input)
> prg=b.to_bytes #now save this, send it, whatever : it's the BASIC
> tokens prepended with $801 load address
>
> Cheers
>
> Jonno

Its too late Jonno. :)
You started to make powerpoint for the Commodore. :)

Dont forget the follwoing options:
1. use realy bold chars (its easy to shift the charset and OR, to
generate bold chars.
same applies to italic (shift upper three char line irght, lower three
char line right)
2. add a char encoding
if i type my text in iso8859-1, convert the accented chars to the
commodore charset.

:)

regards, Viktor
From: Jonno Downes on
On Jul 20, 5:53 pm, Varga Viktor <viktor.va...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Its too late Jonno. :)
> You started to make powerpoint for the Commodore. :)
>
> Dont forget the follwoing options:
> 1. use realy bold chars (its easy to shift the charset and OR, to
> generate bold chars.
> same applies to italic (shift upper three char line irght, lower three
> char line right)
> 2. add a char encoding
> if i type my text in iso8859-1, convert the accented chars to the
> commodore charset.

I can see I may have to give in and add some more features, but not
sure I've got enough time to do this ideas any justice.

How about this - if someone gives me the CBM BASIC implementation of a
feature, I will extend the parser & generator to take advantage. i.e.
if you give me the BASIC code to copy the charset from ROM to RAM and
make it bold & italics, I'll update the implementation of *bold* and
_emphasis_ accordingly :-)