From: jonas_me on
To anybody that might also have this problem, I thought I'd share what
I did to resolve it.

Let me preface the conversation on why I wanted to use this piece...
This EURORACK UB2442FX-PRO is an ultra-cheap mixer (possibly the only
one I am aware of) that has 10 real mic pre's for about $300. I use
it for a rehearsal studio application, and I use inserts, aux sends and
all that stuff, and this does it.

This mixer develeoped a problem for me where microphone inputs would
cut in and out and gain control knobs sometimes didn't work.
Frustrated and being out of warranty, I took it to a repair shop to see
if it could be something simple as a bad connector inside. I thought
I'd let them trouble shoot it since i don't have the time to spend an
entire afternoon taking it apart and looking at it on a scope.

They told me that it had input op-amp failures and some of them needed
replacing, and their labor costs would exceed the cost of the mixer.

Now that I had an idea of what was wrong, I put it on a bench and
starting checking all of the input op-amps. Indeed some looked bad,
and I noticed some DC offset on the output stage also.

Being that I work for an audio manufacturer, we happened to have
OP275's in surface mount laying around, so I changed all of the input
op-amps and it fixed everything.

The Behringer input op-amps are JRC4580, and very cheap. The OP275 is
a drop-in replacement and worked perfectly. No added oscillations from
the new OP275's either.

This whole repair took me about an hour with a proper surface-mount
de-soldering heat source, a high-quality soldering iron and a
magnifying glass.

I left one good old JRC4580 in place to see if I could hear any
difference from the cheap one versus the higher-end pro-audio one.
And, as far as a 58 through a high-end PA system, there was really no
difference that I can tell. Maybe with headphones and a high-end
recording you might be able to tell, but I have a feeling since all
other op-amps in the mixer are still JRC4580's (about 50 more of them),
that the little upgrade in the pre-amp may not make much difference.

From: tbmoas58 on

<jonas_me(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> To anybody that might also have this problem, I thought I'd share what
> I did to resolve it.
>
> Let me preface the conversation on why I wanted to use this piece...
> This EURORACK UB2442FX-PRO is an ultra-cheap mixer (possibly the only
> one I am aware of) that has 10 real mic pre's for about $300. I use
> it for a rehearsal studio application, and I use inserts, aux sends and
> all that stuff, and this does it.
>
> This mixer develeoped a problem for me where microphone inputs would
> cut in and out and gain control knobs sometimes didn't work.
> Frustrated and being out of warranty, I took it to a repair shop to see
> if it could be something simple as a bad connector inside. I thought
> I'd let them trouble shoot it since i don't have the time to spend an
> entire afternoon taking it apart and looking at it on a scope.
>
> They told me that it had input op-amp failures and some of them needed
> replacing, and their labor costs would exceed the cost of the mixer.
>
> Now that I had an idea of what was wrong, I put it on a bench and
> starting checking all of the input op-amps. Indeed some looked bad,
> and I noticed some DC offset on the output stage also.
>
> Being that I work for an audio manufacturer, we happened to have
> OP275's in surface mount laying around, so I changed all of the input
> op-amps and it fixed everything.
>
> The Behringer input op-amps are JRC4580, and very cheap. The OP275 is
> a drop-in replacement and worked perfectly. No added oscillations from
> the new OP275's either.
>
> This whole repair took me about an hour with a proper surface-mount
> de-soldering heat source, a high-quality soldering iron and a
> magnifying glass.
>
> I left one good old JRC4580 in place to see if I could hear any
> difference from the cheap one versus the higher-end pro-audio one.
> And, as far as a 58 through a high-end PA system, there was really no
> difference that I can tell. Maybe with headphones and a high-end
> recording you might be able to tell, but I have a feeling since all
> other op-amps in the mixer are still JRC4580's (about 50 more of them),
> that the little upgrade in the pre-amp may not make much difference.

Thanks for the info
well beyond anything I would do
but interesting none the less
george

From: Eeyore on

jonas_me(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> To anybody that might also have this problem, I thought I'd share what
> I did to resolve it.
>
> Let me preface the conversation on why I wanted to use this piece...
> This EURORACK UB2442FX-PRO is an ultra-cheap mixer (possibly the only
> one I am aware of) that has 10 real mic pre's for about $300. I use
> it for a rehearsal studio application, and I use inserts, aux sends and
> all that stuff, and this does it.
>
> This mixer develeoped a problem for me where microphone inputs would
> cut in and out and gain control knobs sometimes didn't work.
> Frustrated and being out of warranty, I took it to a repair shop to see
> if it could be something simple as a bad connector inside. I thought
> I'd let them trouble shoot it since i don't have the time to spend an
> entire afternoon taking it apart and looking at it on a scope.
>
> They told me that it had input op-amp failures and some of them needed
> replacing, and their labor costs would exceed the cost of the mixer.
>
> Now that I had an idea of what was wrong, I put it on a bench and
> starting checking all of the input op-amps. Indeed some looked bad,
> and I noticed some DC offset on the output stage also.
>
> Being that I work for an audio manufacturer, we happened to have
> OP275's in surface mount laying around, so I changed all of the input
> op-amps and it fixed everything.
>
> The Behringer input op-amps are JRC4580, and very cheap. The OP275 is
> a drop-in replacement and worked perfectly. No added oscillations from
> the new OP275's either.
>
> This whole repair took me about an hour with a proper surface-mount
> de-soldering heat source, a high-quality soldering iron and a
> magnifying glass.
>
> I left one good old JRC4580 in place to see if I could hear any
> difference from the cheap one versus the higher-end pro-audio one.
> And, as far as a 58 through a high-end PA system, there was really no
> difference that I can tell. Maybe with headphones and a high-end
> recording you might be able to tell, but I have a feeling since all
> other op-amps in the mixer are still JRC4580's (about 50 more of them),
> that the little upgrade in the pre-amp may not make much difference.

The 4580 is actually a pretty good op-amp designed specifically for audio and
with a better spec than the ubiquitous 5532. I'm sure you must have an idea what
the mixer would cost if it had OP275s instead !

I'm very surprised at this fault. If it's only the mic stages affected it
suggests a design flaw rather than a poor batch of 4580s..

Graham

From: jonas_me on
You may very well be right about that. I was never able to acquire a
real schematic though.
It certainly is possible that something could have damaged it, spike on
the input, or something else out of the ordinary. I asked around
some of the audio dealers if they had heard of this problem from
anybody else, but it appears that becuase these are so cheap, that it
becomes a throw-away item, and not likely to be repaired.

If anybody does have the schematic for it, I would appreciate a copy of
it.

From: tbmoas58 on

> You may very well be right about that. I was never able to acquire a
> real schematic though.
> It certainly is possible that something could have damaged it, spike on
> the input, or something else out of the ordinary. I asked around
> some of the audio dealers if they had heard of this problem from
> anybody else, but it appears that becuase these are so cheap, that it
> becomes a throw-away item, and not likely to be repaired.
>
> If anybody does have the schematic for it, I would appreciate a copy of
> it.

behringer only releases schematics to thier authorized service centers
george

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Line level balun