From: Len on
I recently bought a Behringer PMX-2000 which is 250 watts per side.
I know nothing about P.A. really.I want to start a band.I would be
using this gear for practice
and to play small venues hopefully.I heard an excellent local band
using the Yamaha's,and they sounded great.I have heard the Yamaha's are
heavy.Are the JBL's heavy as well?Heavier?Which speakier should I get?I
know where I can get a pair of JBL MR925's for $400 for the pair.On
Ebay the Yamaha's go for even less at times.I know this powered mixer
only has 250 per side.Do I need a compressor?Oh I play Modern rock
btw.Thanks for help.

Len

From: tbmoas58 on

"Len" <unseenforcez(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a Behringer PMX-2000 which is 250 watts per side.
> I know nothing about P.A. really.I want to start a band.I would be
> using this gear for practice
> and to play small venues hopefully.I heard an excellent local band
> using the Yamaha's,and they sounded great.I have heard the Yamaha's are
> heavy.Are the JBL's heavy as well?Heavier?Which speakier should I get?I
> know where I can get a pair of JBL MR925's for $400 for the pair.On
> Ebay the Yamaha's go for even less at times.I know this powered mixer
> only has 250 per side.Do I need a compressor?Oh I play Modern rock
> btw.Thanks for help.

there is very little difrence between speakers in the under 1200$ each range
pick the one with the highest effeciency(such as 99 dB/ 1 watt Vs 97dB/1watt
pick the 99) it will give you more volume potential per watt.
with speakers so cheap I would not buy used unless you personally knew the
user

you will want subs to produce "modern rock"

peronally I recommend the all behringer
1800pro subs x2
1520 pro tops x2
ep2500 amps x2

Yamaha has similar gear at just a little more money but I don't know the
model numbers

shop places like
www.americanmusical.com
you most likely can get new with free shipping for about what ebay will
produce used with shipping added

george