From: Michal Schmidt on
Dne Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:22:43 +0200
Frans Pop <elendil(a)planet.nl> napsal(a):
> Would it be possible to have a command line switch that allows to
> start the old textual mode?

I use:
DISPLAY= latencytop

:-)
Michal
From: Frans Pop on
On Tuesday 08 September 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > the latest version of latencytop also has a GUI (thanks to Ben)
>
> That looks nice, but...
>
> I kind of miss the split screen feature where latencytop would show
> both the overall figures + the ones for the currently most affected
> task. Downside of that last was that I never managed to keep the
> display on a specific task.
[...]
> Would it be possible to have a command line switch that allows to start
> the old textual mode?

I got a private reply suggesting that --nogui might work, and it does.
Thanks a lot Nikos!

> Looks like the man page needs updating too :-)

So this definitely needs attention :-P
Support of the standard -h and --help options would be great too.

Cheers,
FJP
From: Nikos Chantziaras on
On 09/08/2009 03:03 PM, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 01:13:34PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>> despite the untranslated content, it is clear that you have scheduler
>>> delays (either due to scheduler bugs or cpu contention) of upto 68
>>> msecs... Second in line is your binary AMD graphics driver that is
>>> chewing up 14% of your total latency...
>>
>> I've now used a correctly installed and up-to-date version of latencytop
>> and repeated the test. Also, I got rid of AMD's binary blob and used
>> kernel DRM drivers for my graphics card to throw fglrx out of the
>> equation (which btw didn't help; the exact same problems occur).
>>
>> Here the result:
>>
>> http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop2.png
>
> This was with an unmodified 2.6.31-rcX kernel?

Yes (-rc9). I also tested with 2.6.30.5 and getting the same results.

> Does Latencytop do anything useful on a BFS-patched kernel?

Nope. BFS does not support any form of tracing yet. latencytop runs
but only shows a blank list. All I can say is that a BFS patched kernel
with the same .config fixes all visible latency issues.
From: GeunSik Lim on
On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Frans Pop<elendil(a)planet.nl> wrote:
>> Would it be possible to have a command line switch that allows to start
>> the old textual mode?
> I got a private reply suggesting that --nogui might work, and it does.
Um. You means that you tested with runlevel 3(multiuser mode). Is it right?
Frans. Can you share me your linux distribution for this test?
I want to check with same conditions(e.g:linux distribution like
fedora 11,ubuntu9.04 , runlevel, and so on.).
> Thanks a lot Nikos!
>> Looks like the man page needs updating too :-)
> So this definitely needs attention :-P
> Support of the standard -h and --help options would be great too.
> Cheers,
> FJP
> --

Thanks,
GeunSik Lim.

--
Regards,
GeunSik Lim ( Samsung Electronics )
From: Nikos Chantziaras on
On 09/08/2009 02:32 PM, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> On Dienstag, 8. September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 09/08/2009 11:38 AM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>> despite the untranslated content, it is clear that you have scheduler
>>> delays (either due to scheduler bugs or cpu contention) of upto 68
>>> msecs... Second in line is your binary AMD graphics driver that is
>>> chewing up 14% of your total latency...
>>
>> I've now used a correctly installed and up-to-date version of latencytop
>> and repeated the test. Also, I got rid of AMD's binary blob and used
>> kernel DRM drivers for my graphics card to throw fglrx out of the
>> equation (which btw didn't help; the exact same problems occur).
>>
>> Here the result:
>>
>> http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop2.png
>>
>> Again: this is on an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.
>
> Just an idea: Maybe some system management code hits you?

I'm not sure what is meant with "system management code."