From: Frans Pop on
On Tuesday 08 September 2009, you wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Frans Pop<elendil(a)planet.nl> wrote:
> >> Would it be possible to have a command line switch that allows to
> >> start the old textual mode?
> >
> > I got a private reply suggesting that --nogui might work, and it
> > does.
>
> Um. You means that you tested with runlevel 3(multiuser mode). Is it
> right? Frans. Can you share me your linux distribution for this test? I
> want to check with same conditions(e.g:linux distribution like fedora
> 11,ubuntu9.04 , runlevel, and so on.).

I ran it from KDE's konsole by just entering 'sudo latencytop --nogui' at
the command prompt.

Distro is Debian stable ("Lenny"), which does not have differences between
runlevels: by default they all start a desktop environment (if a display
manager like xdm/kdm/gdm is installed). But if you really want to know,
the runlevel was 2 ;-)

Cheers,
FJP
From: Nikos Chantziaras on
On 09/08/2009 05:20 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:13:34 +0300
> Nikos Chantziaras<realnc(a)arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> On 09/08/2009 11:38 AM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>> despite the untranslated content, it is clear that you have
>>> scheduler delays (either due to scheduler bugs or cpu contention)
>>> of upto 68 msecs... Second in line is your binary AMD graphics
>>> driver that is chewing up 14% of your total latency...
>>
>> I've now used a correctly installed and up-to-date version of
>> latencytop and repeated the test. Also, I got rid of AMD's binary
>> blob and used kernel DRM drivers for my graphics card to throw fglrx
>> out of the equation (which btw didn't help; the exact same problems
>> occur).
>>
>> Here the result:
>>
>> http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop2.png
>>
>> Again: this is on an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.
>

> so we finally have objective numbers!
>
> now the interesting part is also WHERE the latency hits. Because
> fundamentally, if you oversubscribe the CPU, you WILL get scheduling
> latency.. simply you have more to run than there is CPU.

Sounds plausible. However, with mainline this latency is very, very
noticeable. With BFS I need to look really hard to detect it or do
outright silly things, like a "make -j50". (At first I wrote "-j20"
here but then went ahead an tested it just for kicks, and BFS would
still let me use the GUI smoothly, LOL. So then I corrected it to
"-j50"...)
From: Jiri Kosina on
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> > > Here the result:
> > >
> > > http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop2.png
> > >
> > > Again: this is on an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.
> >
> > Just an idea: Maybe some system management code hits you?
>
> I'm not sure what is meant with "system management code."

System management interrupt happens when firmware/BIOS/HW-debugger is
executed in privilege mode so high, that even OS can't do anything about
that.

It is used in many situations, such as

- memory errors
- ACPI (mostly fan control)
- TPM

OS has small to none possibility to influence SMI/SMM. But if this would
be the cause, you should probably obtain completely different results on
different hardware configuration (as it is likely to have completely
different SMM behavior).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.
From: Nikos Chantziaras on
On 09/09/2009 02:20 AM, Jiri Kosina wrote:

>>> Just an idea: Maybe some system management code hits you?
>>
>> I'm not sure what is meant with "system management code."
>
> System management interrupt happens when firmware/BIOS/HW-debugger is
> executed in privilege mode so high, that even OS can't do anything about
> that.
>
> It is used in many situations, such as
>
> - memory errors
> - ACPI (mostly fan control)
> - TPM
>
> OS has small to none possibility to influence SMI/SMM. But if this would
> be the cause, you should probably obtain completely different results on
> different hardware configuration (as it is likely to have completely
> different SMM behavior).

Wouldn't that mean that a BFS-patched kernel would suffer from this too?

In any case, of the above, only fan control is active, and I've run with
it disabled on occasion (hot summer days, I wanted to just keep it max
with no fan control) with no change. As far as I can tell, the Asus P5E
doesn't have a TPM (the "Deluxe" and "VM" models seem to have one.) As
for memory errors, I use unbuffered non-ECC RAM which passes a
memtest86+ cycle cleanly (well, at least the last time I ran it through
one, a few months ago.)
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt on
> The TLB is SW loaded, yes. However it should not do any misses on kernel
> space, since the whole segment is in a wired TLB entry.

Including vmalloc space ?

Ben.